Jim Edmonds says "I'm leaning toward shutting it down and being a family man again"

Aug 31, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT

Acquired from the Brewers for Chris Dickerson three weeks ago, Jim Edmonds played just nine games for the Reds before being sidelined by an oblique injury and the 40-year-old said yesterday that he’s now leaning toward retiring after the season:

I’m leaning toward shutting it down and being a family man again. I’ve made my mark. I’ve done as much as I can do as an everyday player.

Edmonds will try to get healthy enough to contribute to the Reds down the stretch and into October, but told Milwaukee reporters that he misses playing for the Brewers:

I had a blast there. I miss it, actually. It’s been a bit of a tough transition. It’s never easy to leave guys that you’ve spent four months with. I can’t say enough about the front office, the fans. It’s a great place to play. It’s a first-class organization all the way through. They made it comfortable for me and my family. You can’t beat it.

He also revealed that Brewers manager Ken Macha talked him out of calling it quits just prior to the trade, with Edmonds saying “it was the only thing that kept me going.”
Edmonds has played remarkably well this season considering he’s 40 years old, sat out all of last season after failing to find an interested team, and has struggled with various injuries. He’s hit .277/.337/.481 with nine homers and 23 doubles in 264 plate appearances, and his .818 OPS ranks fourth among NL center fielders with at least 250 trips to the plate.
I’m fairly certain Edmonds won’t come close to getting the votes necessary for the Hall of Fame, but he has a very good case and is perhaps one of the most underrated players of this era. He’s an eight-time Gold Glove winner with 391 career homers and a .902 lifetime OPS that ranks 10th all time among center fielders. Few people seem to recognize it, but Edmonds is likely one of the dozen best center fielders in baseball history.

1. BC - Aug 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM

He would have made the HOF if he hadn’t ruined himself smashing into walls and diving all over the place. But then again, he wouldn’t have had 8 gold gloves then, either. First ballot member of the Hall Of The Very Good.

2. flavius217 - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Simply the best center fielder in Cardinals history. He may have been a little overly dramatic at times, but he was an absolute joy to watch. His 2004 NLCS was one for the ages.

3. matt - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Dude, just retire. Nothing wrong with that, but please dont evoke the standard “family” excuse. Translation…..” If I had anything left in me I’d play in a hearbeat and to hell with my family, but since I have nothing left I will act like Im doing this for the sake of being around my kids and wife”. I love these guys. They always conveniently have a need to spend time with the family just as they turn 40 and start breaking down…. Funny how that always works.. Didnt Brett Favre want to be a “family man” about 10 years ago??

4. Bill@TDS - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I wish somebody would explain to me how “Hall of Very Good” is supposed to be a play on “Hall of Fame.” As though the term “very good” is a step down on the same scale from “fame”? But anyway, he should absolutely be a Hall of Famer, but he won’t be (or not for a long time).

5. CYGNUS X-1 - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:43 AM

go ahead and retire now then,you have not done anything for the reds except take the place of the guy you were traded for on the dl.they have done fine without you in the lineup and one of the younger guys in the outfield can get the 1 hit in 20 at bats you had with the team.

6. okobojicat - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Aaron, considering how often I’ve seen you rip on gold glove awards here and at your twins blog, its kind of silly to cite it as a reason for someone to get into the HOF. We have a lot of defensive metrics for Edmonds career, use them.

7. John_Michael - Aug 31, 2010 at 12:11 PM

If I remember correctly, Edmonds hesitated in his comeback because he weighed family time vs. playing time. If I’m correct, he’s been quite consistent over the past year or so.

8. doctorfunke - Aug 31, 2010 at 1:19 PM

He made the greatest catch of all time, in my opinion.

Three legends off to Cooperstown