Aug 31, 2010, 12:29 PM EDT
We’ve previously heard that Bobby Valentine and Ted Simmons were in the mix, but Jerry Crasnick just tweeted that, according to the scouting grapevine (which Crasnick is extremely tuned into) White Sox bench coach Joey Cora has emerged as “a strong candidate” for the Seattle Mariners managing job.
Which would be fantastic for baseball. Why? Because by all accounts, Cora is Ozzie Guillen’s bestest buddy in the world, and you have to figure that as a result Guillen is Cora’s primary mentor as he rises in the ranks. Sure, personality counts for most things, but I’d like to think that some of the Ozzie Crazy has rubbed off on Cora.
And heck, maybe Cora can hire his own former White Sox infielder as his bench coach, thereby extending this increasingly interesting branch of the baseball manager family tree. Anyone know what Craig Grebeck is doing these days?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 26
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)