Aug 31, 2010, 12:29 PM EDT
We’ve previously heard that Bobby Valentine and Ted Simmons were in the mix, but Jerry Crasnick just tweeted that, according to the scouting grapevine (which Crasnick is extremely tuned into) White Sox bench coach Joey Cora has emerged as “a strong candidate” for the Seattle Mariners managing job.
Which would be fantastic for baseball. Why? Because by all accounts, Cora is Ozzie Guillen’s bestest buddy in the world, and you have to figure that as a result Guillen is Cora’s primary mentor as he rises in the ranks. Sure, personality counts for most things, but I’d like to think that some of the Ozzie Crazy has rubbed off on Cora.
And heck, maybe Cora can hire his own former White Sox infielder as his bench coach, thereby extending this increasingly interesting branch of the baseball manager family tree. Anyone know what Craig Grebeck is doing these days?
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17