Aug 31, 2010, 12:29 PM EDT
We’ve previously heard that Bobby Valentine and Ted Simmons were in the mix, but Jerry Crasnick just tweeted that, according to the scouting grapevine (which Crasnick is extremely tuned into) White Sox bench coach Joey Cora has emerged as “a strong candidate” for the Seattle Mariners managing job.
Which would be fantastic for baseball. Why? Because by all accounts, Cora is Ozzie Guillen’s bestest buddy in the world, and you have to figure that as a result Guillen is Cora’s primary mentor as he rises in the ranks. Sure, personality counts for most things, but I’d like to think that some of the Ozzie Crazy has rubbed off on Cora.
And heck, maybe Cora can hire his own former White Sox infielder as his bench coach, thereby extending this increasingly interesting branch of the baseball manager family tree. Anyone know what Craig Grebeck is doing these days?
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 7
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 92
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (93)