Aug 31, 2010, 10:36 PM EDT
Most of us, including Craig, had a hard time believing that Rangers general manager Jon Daniels actually wanted Jeff Francoeur when reports first surfaced earlier today. Well, the deal just went down.
The Mets traded Francoeur to the Rangers in exchange for infielder Joaquin Arias, according to a team press release. The Rangers are also reportedly receiving some cash as part of the deal.
Arias isn’t really a player of any significance, however he was designated for assignment in order to make room for Alex Cora on the Rangers’ roster last week. That’s right, both Cora and Francoeur are now members of the Texas Rangers.
As a Mets fan, it’s hard to see any redeeming qualities in Francoeur, but he’ll likely be used as part of a tandem with the left-handed hitting David Murphy. His role could be elevated depending upon the condition of Josh Hamilton’s knee, but let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. I’m guessing he’ll be non-tendered in December either way.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 0
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 50
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)