Aug 31, 2010, 10:36 PM EDT
Most of us, including Craig, had a hard time believing that Rangers general manager Jon Daniels actually wanted Jeff Francoeur when reports first surfaced earlier today. Well, the deal just went down.
The Mets traded Francoeur to the Rangers in exchange for infielder Joaquin Arias, according to a team press release. The Rangers are also reportedly receiving some cash as part of the deal.
Arias isn’t really a player of any significance, however he was designated for assignment in order to make room for Alex Cora on the Rangers’ roster last week. That’s right, both Cora and Francoeur are now members of the Texas Rangers.
As a Mets fan, it’s hard to see any redeeming qualities in Francoeur, but he’ll likely be used as part of a tandem with the left-handed hitting David Murphy. His role could be elevated depending upon the condition of Josh Hamilton’s knee, but let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. I’m guessing he’ll be non-tendered in December either way.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)