Must-click link: Jerry Crasnick on concussions in baseball

Aug 31, 2010, 2:17 PM EST

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com is one of my favorite national writers and the effects of concussions in baseball is something that warrants a lot more attention that it’s gotten thus far, so his lengthy article today about Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Corey Koskie, and the great unknown of concussions is absolutely a must-read:
Jerry Crasnick: Much still unknown about concussions
Morneau was second among AL hitters in OPS when he got kneed in the helmet on July 7 and hasn’t played since. Bay has been out since slamming into the outfield wall on July 23.

1. El Bravo - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Totally unrelated to this post: can I call you Gleezy?

2. Kobbybahn - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:41 PM

So are Canadians more easily concussed?

3. Jonny5 - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Concussions are a serious problem for some people. I’ve seen guys be fine afterwards, and some never recover fully. It’s brain damage, plain and simple. and without a saw and scalpel is very hard to know how severe the damage really is. Everyone is different and every blow to the head is different, so until we find a way to measure the damage accurately we will continue to fly by the seat of our pants in regards to rehabbing.

4. Trevor B - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Wow, this is probably one of the best articles I’ve read in a while.

Being a Minnesotan and a Twin’s fan I feel bad for Koskie, he was always one of my favorite Twin’s. I do wish the guy would come back and be some sort of coach in the Twin’s organization as he is a very inteligent man, maybe one day that will come.

5. ThatGuy - Aug 31, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Must be all da hockey dem der canadians be playing up nort…

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5009)