Aug 31, 2010, 2:59 PM EDT
I promise: this will be my last Manny Ramirez post of the day. But it’s a necessary one.
Yesterday I took Ken Rosenthal to task for saying that Manny Ramirez “quit on the Dodgers.” My reason: neither Rosenthal’s nor anyone else’s reports had any evidence that he did quit on them. I thought it was your typical shoveling of dirt on Manny because he’s made himself a pretty handy dirt receptacle over the years.
But maybe Manny did quit! Scott Miller of CBS Sports.com reports today that, according to two Dodgers sources, Manny “declined his spot in the starting lineup” on Sunday. Joe Torre won’t confirm it. Guess we have to wait for his next book.
I don’t recant my criticism of Rosenthal’s piece yesterday because, hey, if Kenny knew that Ramirez quit on the Dodgers he maybe could have, you know, reported it rather than just asserted it (and because the Albert Belle comparison is still way off in my mind). But assuming Miller is right here, Manny did quit on the team, and that such a thing needs to be acknowledged.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 30
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 44
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 27
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)