Aug 31, 2010, 2:59 PM EDT
I promise: this will be my last Manny Ramirez post of the day. But it’s a necessary one.
Yesterday I took Ken Rosenthal to task for saying that Manny Ramirez “quit on the Dodgers.” My reason: neither Rosenthal’s nor anyone else’s reports had any evidence that he did quit on them. I thought it was your typical shoveling of dirt on Manny because he’s made himself a pretty handy dirt receptacle over the years.
But maybe Manny did quit! Scott Miller of CBS Sports.com reports today that, according to two Dodgers sources, Manny “declined his spot in the starting lineup” on Sunday. Joe Torre won’t confirm it. Guess we have to wait for his next book.
I don’t recant my criticism of Rosenthal’s piece yesterday because, hey, if Kenny knew that Ramirez quit on the Dodgers he maybe could have, you know, reported it rather than just asserted it (and because the Albert Belle comparison is still way off in my mind). But assuming Miller is right here, Manny did quit on the team, and that such a thing needs to be acknowledged.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)