OK, maybe Manny did quit on the Dodgers

Aug 31, 2010, 2:59 PM EST

I promise: this will be my last Manny Ramirez post of the day. But it’s a necessary one.

Yesterday I took Ken Rosenthal to task for saying that Manny Ramirez “quit on the Dodgers.” My reason: neither Rosenthal’s nor anyone else’s reports had any evidence that he did quit on them.  I thought it was your typical shoveling of dirt on Manny because he’s made himself a pretty handy dirt receptacle over the years.

But maybe Manny did quit!  Scott Miller of CBS Sports.com reports today that, according to two Dodgers sources, Manny “declined his spot in the starting lineup” on Sunday. Joe Torre won’t confirm it. Guess we have to wait for his next book.

I don’t recant my criticism of Rosenthal’s piece yesterday because, hey, if Kenny knew that Ramirez quit on the Dodgers he maybe could have, you know, reported it rather than just asserted it (and because the Albert Belle comparison is still way off in my mind). But assuming Miller is right here, Manny did quit on the team, and that such a thing needs to be acknowledged.

1. InnocentBystander - Aug 31, 2010 at 3:56 PM

That’s hardly a “quit” in the sense that Rosenthal is using it. This is a player knowing he is being dealt and sitting out a game…the same way a GM would tell the manager to bench a guy he is on the verge of dealing so as not to get him hurt before the deal. Are the GM and manager “quitting” on the team by not fielding the very best possible team at all times? Hardly. The only difference here is that the request is coming from the player (as far as we know…still might be the GM). Sounds like more Manny dumping to me. I’m sure I’ve commented on Manny posts here before, but I’ll restate that I’d take him on my team without hesitation.

2. scatterbrian - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I agree. If there was an eminent deal with Chicago, he was not going to be in the lineup regardless. No to mention that using the broad and vague “two Dodgers sources” is flimsy.

3. broadcastdon - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Mr. InnocentByStander:
    Unless you are really true to your moniker and never did participate in team sports, what Ramirez chose to do on Sunday when offered a starting position and sat rather than play constitutes “quitting”
    on the team in the judgement of this former high school and college team player. In addition, when you’re being paid a reported $30,000. for each at bat by the owners of the Dodgers, don’t you feel some obligation as a professional to give them your best efforts in return for what constitues an average
    American worker’s annual salary each and every time you come to bat! I hate to resort to foul language…but Manny Ramirez is a bum and shames his Bronx, New York background!

4. (Not That) Tom - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Dagnabit, you tell ‘em, grandpa!

5. Largebill - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I agree it is wrong to compare Manny to Albert Belle. Belle was always focused and never gave an at bat away. Belle didn’t quit on Baltimore his body broke down. In Cleveland, Boston and Los Angeles Manny used mystery ailments to avoid playing when he didn’t feel like playing. Conversely, Belle tried to play even though his hip was shot. Belle might have been slightly psychotic, but no one ever accused him of not caring.

6. yesitsme - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Manny was a very good Ballplayer….He could have been a GREAT one if he gave a Sh*t.

7. BigJohn - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:20 PM

typical…

8. BigBBFan - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:25 PM

What is new here??? Manny has been lying down for years. He is an absolute disgrace to the game of baseball. I must however give him credit in one area; he knows how to milk the most money out of desperate owners and GM’s. He has proven that once again. His day is coming next spring when he will be lucky to get an invite to spring training with someone. Good bye to 20 mil for sitting on his ass most of the season.

9. scatterbrian - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:08 PM

So one guy’s body was breaking down, but the other had “mystery ailments”? And he did this when he didn’t feel like playing?
    I’m willing to bet you’re neither a physician nor a mind-reader.

10. pdow - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Anyone who saw Manny’s “at Bat” on Sunday KNOWS he quit on the team… They also KNOW that the team (or at least the Manager) quit on Manny.

11. walk - Sep 1, 2010 at 4:15 AM

Say what you will but i think people in general and it seems some umpires have got it in for manny. I would have been thrown out on that strike call as well. It would have hit a left handed batter. As far as quitting on teams though i believe that is well documented with his episodes of “manny being manny”. He is a perfect rent a player. I would quietly ignore the rules about his hair for fear of starting him off in a sulky mood and making him not want to play. My personal opinion though, and its an opinion only, is that he has authority issues and he responds by not playing and still collecting the same check he would get if he destroyed the ball. My own advice would be to avoid the minor team rules and just let him play… and let him go.

12. doctorfunke - Sep 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I cannot wait to watch this trainwreck go down. Manny, A.J. and Ozzie in the same clubhouse? Twins win division by double digits.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5285)