Aug 31, 2010, 3:58 PM EDT
I don’t have the audio link — I’m just passing along what Matt Cerrone heard on SNY — but apparently Oliver Perez feels like he’s being treated “unfairly” by the Mets.
That’s one way to put it.
Another way to put it would be for Perez to say that he’s been allowed to stay on the team, collecting service time and getting all the perks available to a major league ballplayer despite not being able to pitch at all anymore and despite refusing attempts to send him on minor league assignments all year despite the fact that that is probably what’s best for him at this point. If anyone in Queens had an inkling of what a sunk cost was (they don’t), Perez would be sitting at home watching Mets games on TV instead of from the dugout.
But then again, maybe this is just some sort of communication issue. Maybe when Perez says “unfairly” he really means “with more deference and latitude than any person in his situation has any right to be treated.” I shouldn’t just assume, right?
Whatever the case, Perez’s pride or stubbornness has combined with the Mets’ ineptitude in providing Jerry Manuel with, basically, only 24 players a night with which to contest baseball games instead of the usual 25. I suppose that’s unfair to someone, but it sure as hell ain’t Oliver Perez.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 0
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 153
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 20
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (153)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)