Aug 31, 2010, 3:58 PM EDT
I don’t have the audio link — I’m just passing along what Matt Cerrone heard on SNY — but apparently Oliver Perez feels like he’s being treated “unfairly” by the Mets.
That’s one way to put it.
Another way to put it would be for Perez to say that he’s been allowed to stay on the team, collecting service time and getting all the perks available to a major league ballplayer despite not being able to pitch at all anymore and despite refusing attempts to send him on minor league assignments all year despite the fact that that is probably what’s best for him at this point. If anyone in Queens had an inkling of what a sunk cost was (they don’t), Perez would be sitting at home watching Mets games on TV instead of from the dugout.
But then again, maybe this is just some sort of communication issue. Maybe when Perez says “unfairly” he really means “with more deference and latitude than any person in his situation has any right to be treated.” I shouldn’t just assume, right?
Whatever the case, Perez’s pride or stubbornness has combined with the Mets’ ineptitude in providing Jerry Manuel with, basically, only 24 players a night with which to contest baseball games instead of the usual 25. I suppose that’s unfair to someone, but it sure as hell ain’t Oliver Perez.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 280
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 32
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (286)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)