Aug 31, 2010, 3:58 PM EDT
I don’t have the audio link — I’m just passing along what Matt Cerrone heard on SNY — but apparently Oliver Perez feels like he’s being treated “unfairly” by the Mets.
That’s one way to put it.
Another way to put it would be for Perez to say that he’s been allowed to stay on the team, collecting service time and getting all the perks available to a major league ballplayer despite not being able to pitch at all anymore and despite refusing attempts to send him on minor league assignments all year despite the fact that that is probably what’s best for him at this point. If anyone in Queens had an inkling of what a sunk cost was (they don’t), Perez would be sitting at home watching Mets games on TV instead of from the dugout.
But then again, maybe this is just some sort of communication issue. Maybe when Perez says “unfairly” he really means “with more deference and latitude than any person in his situation has any right to be treated.” I shouldn’t just assume, right?
Whatever the case, Perez’s pride or stubbornness has combined with the Mets’ ineptitude in providing Jerry Manuel with, basically, only 24 players a night with which to contest baseball games instead of the usual 25. I suppose that’s unfair to someone, but it sure as hell ain’t Oliver Perez.
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)