Oliver Perez feels he's being treated unfairly

Aug 31, 2010, 3:58 PM EDT

I don’t have the audio link — I’m just passing along what Matt Cerrone heard on SNY — but apparently Oliver Perez feels like he’s being treated “unfairly” by the Mets.

That’s one way to put it.

Another way to put it would be for Perez to say that he’s been allowed to stay on the team, collecting service time and getting all the perks available to a major league ballplayer despite not being able to pitch at all anymore and despite refusing attempts to send him on minor league assignments all year despite the fact that that is probably what’s best for him at this point. If anyone in Queens had an inkling of what a sunk cost was (they don’t), Perez would be sitting at home watching Mets games on TV instead of from the dugout.

But then again, maybe this is just some sort of communication issue. Maybe when Perez says “unfairly” he really means “with more deference and latitude than any person in his situation has any right to be treated.”  I shouldn’t just assume, right?

Whatever the case, Perez’s pride or stubbornness has combined with the Mets’ ineptitude in providing Jerry Manuel with, basically, only 24 players a night with which to contest baseball games instead of the usual 25. I suppose that’s unfair to someone, but it sure as hell ain’t Oliver Perez.

1. bbeer - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:10 PM

You tell ‘em, Craig!

2. Dan in Katonah - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:31 PM

What would be fair is if he got the Nancy Kerrigan treatment. At least then we would have him off the 25 man roster and could enjoy the karmic pain he so richly deserves. Either that, or send him to a desert island with Frenchy and Castillo and they could vote on who is the most under-appreciated and disrespected Met.
    Where did I leave my gun?

3. Jonny5 - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I can’t wrap my brain around the fact that he refused to go down to the minors to get sharp.. I mean he could be an ace by now… Alright, maybe that’s pushing it a bit, but he could at least get good. Right? What a dope, he’s totally screwing the Mets and plays “woe is me”. I’m shocked the Wilpons haven’t put a hit on him yet.

4. Old Gator - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:54 PM

They can’t afford to. Bernie Madoff hid all their hit money in numbered Swiss bank accounts for his wife.

5. YANKEES1996 - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Put a hit on him are you kidding you are talking about people who won’t even fire Omar! Oh, I almost forgot Oliver get over your damn self you jackass!

6. Simon DelMonte - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Many people in Queens know what a sunk cost is. But they still won’t hire me to be GM. Even though I would be happy to take the job for less than Omar and would even fly coach.

7. matt - Aug 31, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Hahaha. gotta love todays athlete. 3 years at $12 million per and he’s been a total dog since he signed and he’s being treated “unfairly”. Talk about epitome of what the mets franchise is about right now. Go Omar Minaya!!!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5199)