Omar Minaya needs to quit or be fired

Aug 31, 2010, 11:28 AM EDT

Omar Minaya either refuses or has been ordered not to do an essential part of his job. In light of this, he either needs to be fired or he needs to walk away.

If you’re looking for reasons to terminate Omar Minaya’s employment you could parse each and every move the man has made during his tenure. Or you could look at the current product on the field or the Mets’ immediate future and decide whether that justifies the man losing his job.  But let’s make this easy: Omar Minaya said something in today’s USA Today that should have him out on his ear right now:

“It’s not a market where you can go young. You have to bring in players.”

This quote comes after several paragraphs in which Minaya discounts the media circus in New York, saying that you can’t pay any attention to that sort of thing.  This after watching the Yankees build from youth in the early-to-mid 90s and use that to sustain a dynasty unmatched in baseball since their last one fell in the 1960s.

There is no baseball team — I repeat, no baseball team — that can sustain success without developing young, homegrown talent. Sure, some need to do it less than others, but all teams need to do it. Especially a team like the Mets who wouldn’t even be the most desirable landing spot for free agents in their own city if they were able to spend money on free agents going forward. Which they aren’t, according to most reports. While they’re certainly not in need of a fire sale or anything, the Mets have no choice but to go young and bring in kids to fill their many holes, and that was the case before, is the case now and will be the case in the future.

If Minaya thinks that you simply can’t do that because talk radio or someone will crucify him he needs to be let go right now, because building a team is an essential part of his job.  If he’s been told he can’t go young by the Wilpons for those same reasons he needs to quit because they’re setting him up to fail.

1. JimmyY - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Craig, and this is from a non-Mets fan. I’ve posted the same thing twice here before, how this guy keeps his job is beyond me. Hell, I could do the same things he’s done, pay me his money and I’d retire for life. I mean, Oliver Perez, 3 years/$36 million? Right there he should be gone, case closed.

2. Kevin S. - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Best four position players on the 2010 Mets, by WAR: Angel Pagan, David Wright, Jose Reyes, Ike Davis. Hmm, what do these four have in common?

3. John_Michael - Aug 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

‘Grow arms. Buy bats’ — Andy McPhail, who, while in the midst of a terrible string of seasons, has Baltimore seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

4. YANKEES1996 - Aug 31, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Fire Omar, say it isn’t so. Why should he be fired because of no tangible results, because he has almost single handedly ruined a Major League franchise, because he has wasted more money than the Government. I think everyone is being a little too harsh on old Omar, to fire him now is not the answer, HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED YEARS AGO!

5. DCDave - Aug 31, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I think you’re overlooking the worst part of his comment Craig – forget about whether he’s right or wrong about going young (I agree with you, he’s wrong), everything he’s done since the season started has been to “go young” and is in direct contradiction to his roster construction philosophy (or whatever it is).
    As a Met fan I’m glad that’s the direction the team has gone, and who knows if what he’s saying is what he really thinks, but if he thinks that’s the wrong way to go, then he has an odd way of showing it. No mid-season trades for aging veterans, cutting ties with vets and FA’s little Sarge, Jacobs and Cora, these are the actions of a team that appears to want to “go young”. When he speaks, my mind hurts.

6. GoYanks - Aug 31, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I take pity on all Mets fans. As a Yankee fan, I feel sorry for them. Their team is a mess. Starting Pitching? RA Dickey? O. Perez and John Maine? Bullpen? How about their line-up? How good is the
    Jason Bay signing now? How about one of their franchise players, Jose Reyes? Look at all the holes
    in the line-up. Omar Minaya has made a gigantic mess. Just think that they were one game away
    from going to the World Series in 2006! Need I say more!

7. Lt. Colombo - Aug 31, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I don’t think a stat-minded observer would describe their starting pitching as a mess. And, to a lesser degree, relief. It might not be what they expected going into the season (e.g., OP), but they’ ve been stellar, especially recently. I think they set the single-season franchise record for shutouts this year.
    Their hitting on the other hand is miserable. OM continually misses the boat on offense which has been pretty consistently sub-par since their NLCS run a few years back. Jason Bay would be a good guy to have anchoring the 5-7 slots at this point in his career, but he was treated and expected to be something else this year and for several more.

8. Lt. Colombo - Aug 31, 2010 at 1:09 PM

That’s the odd part of it to me. The “youth” movement (such as it is) has worked out and trying out cheaper guys (Pagan, Dickey) has too.
    The holes to plug aren’t that big, but they’re not gonna be plugged by mimicking the Yankees. When they buy aging bats they put them in the 6-7-8 slots. We expect them to hit 40HR like they did in their youth in the 3-4-5 slot. It just doesn’t work that way.

9. sal19 - Aug 31, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I was shouted down over booing David Wright earlier in the year and for pointing out that Omar could be the worst GM of all time based on money spent and games won. As a lifelong Met fan you get acquainted with pain. Now, however we are dealing with something worse than being bad, we are dealing with management and player apathy. Any baseball fan can see Reyes and Beltran don’t have any heart and Wright is close behind. I have seen kids playing stick ball more worked up than these guys ever get. I don’t mind losing but will someone please get a little worked up over it! It is more than clear that leadership from the Wilpons on down is ineffective and still there haven’t been any changes. If they would have moved on Beltran 3 years ago maybe they could have gotten someone for him but now it is simply money out of the window. Reyes is just one hang nail away from being hurt again and Wright is a perennial good ball player. Never great only good, you have to have heart to be great.

10. savoir laire - Aug 31, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Oh, he doesn’t need Wilpon’s help to fail, he is clearly very capable of that in his own right…
    As a lifelong Mets fan (and I’m 48), I am actually getting tired of telling people he has to go. I mean, he’s really become a laughing stock…Ollie, Bay, Putz, K Rod. This is a litany of totally botched roster moves unprecedented in baseball. This guy is beyond a bad judge of talent, he is beyond a bad media handler–as evidenced by the quote in USA Today, he is simply an idiot. Surely, please god tell me surely, he cannot last through the end of the season. This guy pisses money away faster than a democrat!!

11. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:05 PM

“As a lifelong Met fan you get acquainted with pain. ”
    I guess if you are 3 years old…they were in the NLCS a few years back, went to the World Series in 2000, and won it all in 1986. It’s not like they are the Chicago Cubs or Cleveland Indians…least the Mutts won 24 years ago.

12. JBerardi - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Young players? Those guys suck. I know that because a bunch of old guys told me so.

13. sal19 - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Chris, this ain’t Chicago or Cleveland, this is New York, we don’t hope for a winner, we demand it. This isn’t little league this is MLB, you gotta demand more from these millionaire, hand picked ball players. I have been a fan from the very beginning and I am sorry, winning every quarter of a century doesn’t get it done for me.

14. matt - Aug 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM

As a phillies fan I will step in and stand by Omar Minaya. I happen to think his decisions have been great!!! For the Phillies that is. Bwahahahaha. Seriously, love the Perez and Bay signings. Keep it up Omar!!!

15. TheGoche - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:02 PM

So, correct me if I’m wrong here. The argument is that because New York fans (you being one) are more obnoxious and your owners spend tons of money, it is roughly equally as painful to you having won the NL in 2000, and the WS in 1986 as it is to be a Cubs or Indians fan?

16. Mrsteve - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Omar went overboard on the latin players with the attitudes & the hands off club house & the rap music cranked and the families all hanging out at the park all day. Not focused on baseball. From the manager to the players. Bad team that quits when it gets to hard & denies it. Was not me.

17. sal19 - Aug 31, 2010 at 8:27 PM

No, listen I am not the one making that comparison, all I am stating is that winning once every 25 years is unacceptable to Mets fans. I commiserate with Cubs and Indian fans but it seems to have become part of the mystic in those cities but here in NY where we have another team that does it all right, we can’t accept being an “occasional” winner. That is my only point.

18. mrbmc - Sep 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM

That light at the end of the tunnel is a 4 car train called the rest of the AL East.

19. mrbmc - Sep 2, 2010 at 11:07 AM

All the heart in the world isn’t going to make up for having half a lineup.

Three legends off to Cooperstown