Pete Rose: Pete Rose never had a gambling problem

Aug 31, 2010, 2:00 PM EST

I missed this when I put up the earlier Pete Rose post, but apparently Charlie Hustle sat for an extended interview with with Yahoo!’s Graham Bensinger. In it he discusses baseball stuff and gambling stuff, particularly the idea that he had a gambling addiction:

“I needed something extra. I lost the edge in getting those at-bats and
being competitive. So, you know, I was wrong but the best way to be
competitive to me was to bet on my own team to win every night . . . I don’t think I was an addict. I think I could control what I was
doing. I just was wrong and I got caught … I actually went to some
Gamblers Anonymous classes and I sat there for three or four of them and
I’m trying to figure out what I have in similarities with these other
people and I could never find anything.”

I’m highly skeptical of our society’s habit of calling everything an addiction. Sometimes people drink a bit too much. Doesn’t make them an alcoholic. Sometimes people fool around with people who aren’t their spouses. Doesn’t make them a sex addict. Sometimes people bet hundreds of times a year and structure their whole lives around gambling in order to somehow — any way they can — achieve that oh-so-satisfying rush they had when they were younger but just can’t get no matter how hard they try to, and THANK YOU THANK YOU gambling for giving me what I need to get through the day, ahhhhhhhhhhh . . . .

OK, you know what? I still think Rose was a gambling addict.

(link via Big League Stew

1. JBerardi - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I needed something extra. I lost the edge in getting those at-bats and being competitive. So, you know, I was wrong but the best way to be competitive to me was to bet on my own team to win every night . . . I don’t think I was an addict.

Oh man. Pete Rose should be in the comedy HOF.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I lost a bunch of money with a bookie once, and owed thousands and thousands of dollars. I thought I was a gambling addict, so I went to Gambler’s anonymous meetings for a while, and realized that I’m not an addict…I just suck at it. An addict, like these guys, literally can’t go into 7-11 or a store that sells lottery tickets without spending a bunch of cash on scratch-offs. They spend their rent money on them. They go to racetracks all day and look for used ticket winners, and when they find them, they cash them and spend the money on more bets. They don’t even eat with money because eating doesn’t bring them more money. It’s actually pretty sad. And of course Pete’s an addict…that’s why he is still signing freaking autographs every day…because he needs the money for more gambling.

3. Paper Lions - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Steve Howe says that Steve Howe never had a drug problem.

4. Jonny5 - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM

It’s not a problem until you start selling all the memorabillia you’ve amassed over your HOF career. Oh wait…. I’m leaving now..

5. Big Daddy Keith - Aug 31, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I believe you Pete. Signed the guy who cleans up Sammy Sosa’s cork from the infield after “Batting Practice”

6. Glenn - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Sounds like addictive behavior to me. I realized that I was addicted to tobacco when I would go through the trash to get what I had thrown out the day before because I had quit (or so I thought).

7. Big Daddy Keith - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Yea and sometimes I get a girl slightly pregnant

8. Pisano - Aug 31, 2010 at 10:34 PM

” Pete Rose never had a gambling problem ” and Barry Bonds never used roids either .

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester