Aug 31, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
Earlier this week the Rockies were said to be looking for some bullpen help and this afternoon they acquired reliever Manny Delcarmen from the Red Sox for Single-A pitching prospect Chris Balcom-Miller.
Delcarmen was one of the Red Sox’s best relievers in 2007 and 2008, combining to throw 118 innings with a 2.81 ERA, .197 opponents’ batting average, and 113/45 K/BB ratio, but has a 4.60 ERA and 76/62 K/BB ratio in 104 innings since then and slipped down the bullpen pecking order this season.
His velocity has declined a bit from 2007/2008 while his strikeout rate fell and his walk rate rose, but Delcarmen still has good raw stuff and seems capable of rebounding into a useful setup man in the National League. He’s also under team control for two more seasons as an arbitration eligible player, so the Rockies may have brought Delcarmen in as much for 2011 and 2012 as for this season. They’re currently seven games back in the NL West and 3.5 games out of the Wild Card race.
Chris Balcom-Miller was the Rockies’ sixth-round pick last year and has posted incredible numbers in the low minors so far with a 2.72 ERA, .194 opponents’ batting average, and 177/26 K/BB ratio in 166 innings between rookie-ball and low Single-A. He’s a long way from potentially reaching the majors, but represents a nice haul for a player who had clearly fallen out of favor in Boston.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 34
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 12
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 65
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games