Aug 31, 2010, 4:14 PM EST
Earlier this week the Rockies were said to be looking for some bullpen help and this afternoon they acquired reliever Manny Delcarmen from the Red Sox for Single-A pitching prospect Chris Balcom-Miller.
Delcarmen was one of the Red Sox’s best relievers in 2007 and 2008, combining to throw 118 innings with a 2.81 ERA, .197 opponents’ batting average, and 113/45 K/BB ratio, but has a 4.60 ERA and 76/62 K/BB ratio in 104 innings since then and slipped down the bullpen pecking order this season.
His velocity has declined a bit from 2007/2008 while his strikeout rate fell and his walk rate rose, but Delcarmen still has good raw stuff and seems capable of rebounding into a useful setup man in the National League. He’s also under team control for two more seasons as an arbitration eligible player, so the Rockies may have brought Delcarmen in as much for 2011 and 2012 as for this season. They’re currently seven games back in the NL West and 3.5 games out of the Wild Card race.
Chris Balcom-Miller was the Rockies’ sixth-round pick last year and has posted incredible numbers in the low minors so far with a 2.72 ERA, .194 opponents’ batting average, and 177/26 K/BB ratio in 166 innings between rookie-ball and low Single-A. He’s a long way from potentially reaching the majors, but represents a nice haul for a player who had clearly fallen out of favor in Boston.
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 0
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)