Aug 31, 2010, 11:18 AM EST
Yesterday the Double-A Texas League named Mike Moustakas its player of the year despite his promotion to Triple-A six weeks earlier and then the stud Royals prospect celebrated his honor a few hours later with three homers and 11 RBIs in last night’s game.
Moustakas hit .347 with 21 homers, 24 doubles, and a ridiculous 1.100 OPS in 66 games at Double-A. He hasn’t been able to keep up those video game-like numbers in the Pacific Coast League, but a 21-year-old hitting .297 with 13 homers, 14 doubles, and a .569 slugging percentage in 45 games at Triple-A is still incredibly impressive.
Between the two levels he’s hitting .326/.376/.637 with 34 homers and 39 doubles in 111 games, with the former No. 2 overall pick’s only real weakness being a lack of plate discipline. Of course, I wouldn’t be all that interested in drawing walks if I was slugging .637 either and Moustakas has cut his strikeouts even while upping his power.
Things have been ugly in Kansas City again this season, but fortunately for Zack Greinke, Billy Butler, and Royals fans some big-time help is on the way.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)