Aug 31, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Yesterday the Double-A Texas League named Mike Moustakas its player of the year despite his promotion to Triple-A six weeks earlier and then the stud Royals prospect celebrated his honor a few hours later with three homers and 11 RBIs in last night’s game.
Moustakas hit .347 with 21 homers, 24 doubles, and a ridiculous 1.100 OPS in 66 games at Double-A. He hasn’t been able to keep up those video game-like numbers in the Pacific Coast League, but a 21-year-old hitting .297 with 13 homers, 14 doubles, and a .569 slugging percentage in 45 games at Triple-A is still incredibly impressive.
Between the two levels he’s hitting .326/.376/.637 with 34 homers and 39 doubles in 111 games, with the former No. 2 overall pick’s only real weakness being a lack of plate discipline. Of course, I wouldn’t be all that interested in drawing walks if I was slugging .637 either and Moustakas has cut his strikeouts even while upping his power.
Things have been ugly in Kansas City again this season, but fortunately for Zack Greinke, Billy Butler, and Royals fans some big-time help is on the way.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)