I don't care how late he gets to the park. Manny should start tonight

Aug 31, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT

According to the Sun-Times’ Joe Cowley, Manny Ramirez’s plane lands in Cleveland at 3PM. That cuts it kind of close for him to get to the park and have anything approaching a normal routine for tonight’s White Sox-Indians Game.  Cowley says that, as of yesterday, Ozzie Guillen was inclined not to start Ramirez under such circumstances, and in fact, he’s not in the lineup that just got posted.

If it was anyone else besides Ramirez I’d say use them as a pinch hitter to keep the discombobulation to a minimum.  But this is Manny we’re talking about. I’m guessing that a loop of Enya’s “Orinoco Flow” runs through his head 24/7. You could probably keep him in suspended animation for 20 hours a day and break him out just for games and he’d be better off for it because no one can yell at you or ask you what your problem is when you’re in suspended animation.

Give him the start, Ozzie. Even if he’s changing clothes during the National Anthem, I bet he goes 3 for 5 with a double and a couple of RBIs. When asked about it after the game he’ll be all like “what?”

1. Buccofan - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Seriously. You’re going to spend all that money on him, and you won’t charter a plane to get him from LA to Cleveland? Or he won’t pay for it himself?

2. Kung - Aug 31, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Given that he has a month’s worth of games to possibly make a difference, wouldn’t you want him to play EVERY single game you could possibly wring out of him?

3. yesitsme - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I made this comment before but somehow it disappeared……..Chicago will have enough of Manny the first time he hits a triple down in the right field corner and gets thrown out at first because he stood at home plate admiring his shot………..Sound familiar?…….When he was at Fenway he was a master at turning a double off the Monster into a single to left……Good Luck Chicago.

4. Rickus100 - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Well, if he’s coming from the West Coast 3pm is about as early as he could get to the ballpark on the East Coast. Not much of a “story.”

5. Steeler Fan in Germantown - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I can’t think of anyone who deserves Manny more than Ozzie Guillen. It won’t take long for these two egos to clash…..childish egos at that. Before long Ozzie will be cursing Manny and Manny won’t really give a damn. Why anyone would take on the baggage that comes with this guy is beyond me. But, go for it Sox! I hope he kisses each and every one of you before he screws the city.

6. IdahoMariner - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:25 PM

um…I thought he was on his way to Cleveland yesterday?

Three legends off to Cooperstown