Aug 31, 2010, 8:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Dodgers pulled Lilly off waivers after the Yankees were awarded the claim. The Yankees and Rays enter play Tuesday tied with the best record in baseball, which means that at least 27 teams passed up the chance to acquire Lilly.
7:20 PM: As expected, Ted Lilly was claimed off waivers by multiple teams after being placed on waivers by the Dodgers. Los Angeles, though, has pulled him back, and the left-hander will stay with the club for the duration of the season.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the Yankees were one of the teams to claim LIlly, who is 5-1 with a 3.29 ERA and a 0.89 WHIP in six starts since joining the Dodgers.
Lilly will become a free agent at season’s end, and the Dodgers are poised to get two draft picks back for him if they lose him then. It’s doubtful they would have gotten a better haul had they traded him now.
The Dodgers will have to risk offering him arbitration, but that shouldn’t be a problem. While Lilly would likely command a raise from his current $12 million salary in the arbitration process, it’s doubtful that he’d take a non-guaranteed one-year arbitration contract over the three- or maybe four-year proposals he’s likely to see on the open market.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)