Aug 31, 2010, 8:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Dodgers pulled Lilly off waivers after the Yankees were awarded the claim. The Yankees and Rays enter play Tuesday tied with the best record in baseball, which means that at least 27 teams passed up the chance to acquire Lilly.
7:20 PM: As expected, Ted Lilly was claimed off waivers by multiple teams after being placed on waivers by the Dodgers. Los Angeles, though, has pulled him back, and the left-hander will stay with the club for the duration of the season.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the Yankees were one of the teams to claim LIlly, who is 5-1 with a 3.29 ERA and a 0.89 WHIP in six starts since joining the Dodgers.
Lilly will become a free agent at season’s end, and the Dodgers are poised to get two draft picks back for him if they lose him then. It’s doubtful they would have gotten a better haul had they traded him now.
The Dodgers will have to risk offering him arbitration, but that shouldn’t be a problem. While Lilly would likely command a raise from his current $12 million salary in the arbitration process, it’s doubtful that he’d take a non-guaranteed one-year arbitration contract over the three- or maybe four-year proposals he’s likely to see on the open market.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (156)