Aug 31, 2010, 8:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Dodgers pulled Lilly off waivers after the Yankees were awarded the claim. The Yankees and Rays enter play Tuesday tied with the best record in baseball, which means that at least 27 teams passed up the chance to acquire Lilly.
7:20 PM: As expected, Ted Lilly was claimed off waivers by multiple teams after being placed on waivers by the Dodgers. Los Angeles, though, has pulled him back, and the left-hander will stay with the club for the duration of the season.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the Yankees were one of the teams to claim LIlly, who is 5-1 with a 3.29 ERA and a 0.89 WHIP in six starts since joining the Dodgers.
Lilly will become a free agent at season’s end, and the Dodgers are poised to get two draft picks back for him if they lose him then. It’s doubtful they would have gotten a better haul had they traded him now.
The Dodgers will have to risk offering him arbitration, but that shouldn’t be a problem. While Lilly would likely command a raise from his current $12 million salary in the arbitration process, it’s doubtful that he’d take a non-guaranteed one-year arbitration contract over the three- or maybe four-year proposals he’s likely to see on the open market.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)