Aug 31, 2010, 8:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Dodgers pulled Lilly off waivers after the Yankees were awarded the claim. The Yankees and Rays enter play Tuesday tied with the best record in baseball, which means that at least 27 teams passed up the chance to acquire Lilly.
7:20 PM: As expected, Ted Lilly was claimed off waivers by multiple teams after being placed on waivers by the Dodgers. Los Angeles, though, has pulled him back, and the left-hander will stay with the club for the duration of the season.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the Yankees were one of the teams to claim LIlly, who is 5-1 with a 3.29 ERA and a 0.89 WHIP in six starts since joining the Dodgers.
Lilly will become a free agent at season’s end, and the Dodgers are poised to get two draft picks back for him if they lose him then. It’s doubtful they would have gotten a better haul had they traded him now.
The Dodgers will have to risk offering him arbitration, but that shouldn’t be a problem. While Lilly would likely command a raise from his current $12 million salary in the arbitration process, it’s doubtful that he’d take a non-guaranteed one-year arbitration contract over the three- or maybe four-year proposals he’s likely to see on the open market.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)