Aug 31, 2010, 8:52 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Dodgers pulled Lilly off waivers after the Yankees were awarded the claim. The Yankees and Rays enter play Tuesday tied with the best record in baseball, which means that at least 27 teams passed up the chance to acquire Lilly.
7:20 PM: As expected, Ted Lilly was claimed off waivers by multiple teams after being placed on waivers by the Dodgers. Los Angeles, though, has pulled him back, and the left-hander will stay with the club for the duration of the season.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the Yankees were one of the teams to claim LIlly, who is 5-1 with a 3.29 ERA and a 0.89 WHIP in six starts since joining the Dodgers.
Lilly will become a free agent at season’s end, and the Dodgers are poised to get two draft picks back for him if they lose him then. It’s doubtful they would have gotten a better haul had they traded him now.
The Dodgers will have to risk offering him arbitration, but that shouldn’t be a problem. While Lilly would likely command a raise from his current $12 million salary in the arbitration process, it’s doubtful that he’d take a non-guaranteed one-year arbitration contract over the three- or maybe four-year proposals he’s likely to see on the open market.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 105
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 18
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 205
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (208)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)