The Marlins and Nats probably shouldn't have played last night

Aug 31, 2010, 9:32 AM EDT

There was a three-hour rain delay before the Nats-Marlins game, and when play finally began, the players faced this:

The game began with puddles throughout
the outfield particularly in right field. Outfielders on both teams ran
through them, slid on the wet grass, and even fielded ground balls that
simply stopped well in front of them.

“I was thinking about how much water
was going to be in my shoes,” Nationals right fielder Michael Morse
said. “I’ve never seen a field like that.”

Yeah, it dried out over time and they got the game in, but that’s dangerous stuff to be messing with. Calling a game after it begins is the umps’ job, but calling a game before it begins is the job of the home team.  Rather than play into the wee hours on a wet track, the Marlins should have sucked it up, called the game and gone with a double header today.

1. murd - Aug 31, 2010 at 9:42 AM

They’re getting sentimental down there, only a month’s worth of rain delays left before they dome it up.

2. murd - Aug 31, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Woops, make that a year and a month.

3. BC - Aug 31, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I saw this last night. This reminded me of that Phillies playoff game from sometime around 1980 – like a 4 hour rain delay and they played in the muck anyway. EXCEPT THIS WAS A MEANINGLESS GAME!
    I don’t get it. Unless this was the last time these guys play each other this season, why do this?
    Oh…. wait a minute. Scrooge McLoria. I got it. Have to get that gate revenue.
    At least the delay was at the start of the game, so the beer stayed open for the fans.

4. El Bravo - Aug 31, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Dibble says suck it up and play pu$$ies!

5. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 31, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Is that Old Gator in the picture up there? I knew he was a closet “Feesh Fanatic”!!!

6. Jonny5 - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Hey, I look at it this way. Both teams had to deal with it equally, so it was a fair game. Enough said.

7. bmoline - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:29 AM

That’s not the point. Both teams had the same conditions, but they were crappy conditions. There was a significant injury risk, and just because no one got hurt doesn’t mean it was the right decision to play.

8. Jonny5 - Aug 31, 2010 at 12:36 PM

ahhhh, whatever.. I think handling athletes with kid gloves is a mistake. If it rains, you get wet, you change the way you play slightly so you don’t get hurt. Big deal. The games have to be played. I drive by kids playing the game in the rain all the time, for free…… It’s just a matter of opinion, not saying I’m right about it.

9. Utley's hair - Aug 31, 2010 at 12:40 PM

The good news is that nobody in the stands got wet.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (4060)