The Rangers are interested in Jeff Francoeur? Really?

Aug 31, 2010, 4:28 PM EDT

That’s what Adam Rubin says.  He (or at least his headline writer) uses my least favorite trade talk euphemism ever by saying that Texas is “kicking the tires” on Frenchie.

Observation #1:  This could be evidence that Josh Hamilton really is hurt and the Rangers are worried about it.

Observation #2: If Jeff Francoeur somehow finds himself dealt from the Mets and onto a playoff-bound team it’s evidence that he or his momma or someone close to him found a lucky charm once upon a time, because no one in baseball history with Francoeur’s skills has been given the kinds of chances he’s been given.

Observation #3: How happy would your Met-fan friends be — assuming you allow yourself to have any — if such a deal goes down, thus removing the temptation from Omar “you don’t go young in New York” Minaya to offer him arbitration this winter rather than non-tender him?

1. Jonny5 - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:42 PM

LMAO!!! Leave it to Craig to find a pic of Frenchie prancing around like, well, a frenchie.

2. El Bravo - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:48 PM

What’s OBP again?

3. Old Gator - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:51 PM

BC is quiet. I don’t blame him. No point in jinxing this deal, is there?

4. Simon DelMonte - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I have a net-friend who knows the Francouers and tells me Frenchy’s wife is a real sweetie. Maybe people just want her to be happy?
    I will also point out, maybe for the last time if this rumor is true, that he has a cannon for an arm. That has some value. I just have no idea how you make a cannon for an arm matter when you have no eye for the ball.
    And this seems like a good chance to note that if Adam Rubin is saying it, it has a chance to be true. Despite having every reason to be resentful of Omar, he’s done his level best to be a good beat reporter. I don’t agree with his every assessment of the Mets, but he is a pro.

5. The Rabbit - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:55 PM

The Rangers are thinking that Frenchie could replace a possibly hurt Josh Hamilton in the lineup?
    Rangers management is obviously not smoking the good stuff.

6. YANKEES1996 - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:03 PM

They are gonna use Frenchie to replace Josh Hamilton?, and who else?

7. Giant Space Ants - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:46 PM

He’s half-way acceptable against lefties. And there isn’t anyone on the Rangers mostly pathetic bench you can even say that about. So that is (hopefully) the only reason they might have any interest in him.

8. Utleyshairupyourass - Aug 31, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Old Gator, what, no racist comments today? If Francouer was black or a Muslim, what would your comment have been?

9. Ditto65 - Aug 31, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I do believe you are clueless.

10. Professor Longnose - Aug 31, 2010 at 7:59 PM

“…no one in baseball history with Francoeur’s skills has been given the kinds of chances he’s been given.”
    How about Jesus Alou? He played more than a thousand games with a lifetime OBP of .305 and an OPS+ of 86. His OPS+ season high was 97.

11. Utleyshairupyourass - Aug 31, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Ditto!

12. matt - Aug 31, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I used to think Francoeur had a lot of talent and I think he does still but tonights game against the braves is exactly why he wont ever live up to his potential. Braves pitcher minor is struggling with control big time in tonights game, loads the bases and cant get anything near the plate. Zero outs. Frenchie comes up and I turn my head, turn back around and he’s 0-2 and ends up with a shallow fly to center that was just deep enough to score the run from 3rd. If he shows any plate discipline he probably walks in a run. As a Phillies fan….I was not amused….

13. RichardInBigD - Aug 31, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Rangers just announced on their TV broadcast that it’s a done deal. Frenchie and cash for Joaquin Arias.

14. Old Gator - Aug 31, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Classy too – dig that clever handle!

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey