Aug 31, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
We all got excited on July 31st — I even blogged on a Saturday, man! — but that wasn’t the real trade deadline. Just ask Manny. That was the non-waiver trade deadline. Today is the real day you have to have your changes made, because barring some complicated maneuvers involving the disabled list, your team at midnight tonight is your team for the playoffs.
If the chatter is any guide, it doesn’t seem like many if any deals will go down. The closest to anything approaching actionable intelligence is Jon Paul Morosi reporting that Ted Lilly is on waivers and could be claimed by someone today. His last start notwithstanding, he’s been great since coming over to the Dodgers from the Cubs, so he’d certainly help someone and could be claimed. The team he’d help the most right now is the Yankees, but the odds of him falling that far are pretty slim.
Anyway, we won’t go haywire about it today like we did in July, but do keep checking back throughout the day, because a deal could definitely go down.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)