Aug 31, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
We all got excited on July 31st — I even blogged on a Saturday, man! — but that wasn’t the real trade deadline. Just ask Manny. That was the non-waiver trade deadline. Today is the real day you have to have your changes made, because barring some complicated maneuvers involving the disabled list, your team at midnight tonight is your team for the playoffs.
If the chatter is any guide, it doesn’t seem like many if any deals will go down. The closest to anything approaching actionable intelligence is Jon Paul Morosi reporting that Ted Lilly is on waivers and could be claimed by someone today. His last start notwithstanding, he’s been great since coming over to the Dodgers from the Cubs, so he’d certainly help someone and could be claimed. The team he’d help the most right now is the Yankees, but the odds of him falling that far are pretty slim.
Anyway, we won’t go haywire about it today like we did in July, but do keep checking back throughout the day, because a deal could definitely go down.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)