Aug 31, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
We all got excited on July 31st — I even blogged on a Saturday, man! — but that wasn’t the real trade deadline. Just ask Manny. That was the non-waiver trade deadline. Today is the real day you have to have your changes made, because barring some complicated maneuvers involving the disabled list, your team at midnight tonight is your team for the playoffs.
If the chatter is any guide, it doesn’t seem like many if any deals will go down. The closest to anything approaching actionable intelligence is Jon Paul Morosi reporting that Ted Lilly is on waivers and could be claimed by someone today. His last start notwithstanding, he’s been great since coming over to the Dodgers from the Cubs, so he’d certainly help someone and could be claimed. The team he’d help the most right now is the Yankees, but the odds of him falling that far are pretty slim.
Anyway, we won’t go haywire about it today like we did in July, but do keep checking back throughout the day, because a deal could definitely go down.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)