Aug 31, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
We all got excited on July 31st — I even blogged on a Saturday, man! — but that wasn’t the real trade deadline. Just ask Manny. That was the non-waiver trade deadline. Today is the real day you have to have your changes made, because barring some complicated maneuvers involving the disabled list, your team at midnight tonight is your team for the playoffs.
If the chatter is any guide, it doesn’t seem like many if any deals will go down. The closest to anything approaching actionable intelligence is Jon Paul Morosi reporting that Ted Lilly is on waivers and could be claimed by someone today. His last start notwithstanding, he’s been great since coming over to the Dodgers from the Cubs, so he’d certainly help someone and could be claimed. The team he’d help the most right now is the Yankees, but the odds of him falling that far are pretty slim.
Anyway, we won’t go haywire about it today like we did in July, but do keep checking back throughout the day, because a deal could definitely go down.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)