Aug 31, 2010, 4:48 PM EDT
After initially playing coy with reporters following his season-worst start over the weekend, Derek Lowe finally admitted today that he’s been pitching through elbow pain for the past six weeks and received a cortisone shot Sunday.
Lowe told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution that he’s planning to make his next scheduled start Friday against the Marlins, but first he’ll have to avoid any problems during a bullpen session tomorrow.
Declining to speak about what the Atlanta beat reporters seemed to think was a pretty obvious injury seemed odd, but if Lowe has truly pitched through the pain for over a month now it makes some sense that he thought it could be ignored for a bit longer. After all, prior to struggling over the weekend Lowe had a 3.26 ERA and 19/4 K/BB ratio in five August starts.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)