X-ray technician picks bad time to joke with Gordon Beckham

Aug 31, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT

Gordon Beckham has been diagnosed with merely a bruise despite leaving last night’s game after taking a Frank Hermann fastball off the right hand, but not before the X-ray technician initially told him it was broken.

Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune described the scene:

Beckham didn’t think his hand was broken, but he was caught off guard after an x-ray technician told him the results.

“The guy came out of the X-ray room saying it’s broken,” Beckham said with his right hand tightly wrapped following the Sox’s wild 10-6 win at Cleveland. “And I’m thinking ‘How is that possible?’

“Then he said, ‘No, it’s not (broken).’

“Are you kidding me with that?” Beckham continued. “That’s Rookie League.”

X-ray technician is probably pretty high up on the list of jobs where having a good sense of humor (or at least thinking you have a good sense of humor) is a negative thing.

Brent Lillibridge replaced Beckham at second base and made a throwing error that allowed the Indians to tie the score, but then made up for it by hitting the game-winning homer in extra innings.

1. Utley's hair - Aug 31, 2010 at 1:54 PM

And the xray tech’s new supervisor, Rob Dibble, told Beckham to suck it up and stop being a p***y.

2. Jonny5 - Aug 31, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I would be a terrible x-ray technician.

3. Buccofan - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

After the season, Beckham should have the technician make up-close-and-personal contact with his X-Ray machine. “I don’t care if it’s broken, but your howls of pain tell me I’ve achieved my goal.”

4. Kanonen80 - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Really? The dude was just trying to lighten up the atmosphere. Apparently, Beckham has a terrible sense of humor. It’s not like the guy told him he had a fatal disease or something. It’s a game, Gordon. Have some fun.

5. Giant Space Ants - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:27 PM

The good news Gordon is we’re going to name a disease after you…

6. Utley's hair - Aug 31, 2010 at 2:34 PM

But it is better than if he said it was fine, while it was broken.

7. CJ - Aug 31, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Any truth to the rumor that the technician’s name was Mike Wise?

8. Riddering - Aug 31, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Afterward, the technician went to Guillen and Williams to tell them “We lost him for the season.” After the two started beating the wall with a sliced bat and crying respectively, the technician calmed them by saying “I meant Peavy. Beckham will be fine.”

9. Jeff J. Snider - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:31 PM

“He’s going to be all right.”
    “Oh, that’s wonderful news!”
    “Really? I think I’d be more upset.”
    “But you said he’s going to be all right!?”
    “Yes, the seal bit off his left hand, so he’s going to be ALL RIGHT.”

10. Dan in Katonah - Aug 31, 2010 at 4:37 PM

“…where having a good sense of humor (or at least thinking you have a good sense of humor) is a negative thing.” I get it, a “negative thing” – unintentional x-ray humor?

11. Reflex - Aug 31, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Same here.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3200)