Aug 31, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Gordon Beckham has been diagnosed with merely a bruise despite leaving last night’s game after taking a Frank Hermann fastball off the right hand, but not before the X-ray technician initially told him it was broken.
Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune described the scene:
Beckham didn’t think his hand was broken, but he was caught off guard after an x-ray technician told him the results.
“The guy came out of the X-ray room saying it’s broken,” Beckham said with his right hand tightly wrapped following the Sox’s wild 10-6 win at Cleveland. “And I’m thinking ‘How is that possible?’
“Then he said, ‘No, it’s not (broken).’
“Are you kidding me with that?” Beckham continued. “That’s Rookie League.”
X-ray technician is probably pretty high up on the list of jobs where having a good sense of humor (or at least thinking you have a good sense of humor) is a negative thing.
Brent Lillibridge replaced Beckham at second base and made a throwing error that allowed the Indians to tie the score, but then made up for it by hitting the game-winning homer in extra innings.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)