Aug 31, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Gordon Beckham has been diagnosed with merely a bruise despite leaving last night’s game after taking a Frank Hermann fastball off the right hand, but not before the X-ray technician initially told him it was broken.
Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune described the scene:
Beckham didn’t think his hand was broken, but he was caught off guard after an x-ray technician told him the results.
“The guy came out of the X-ray room saying it’s broken,” Beckham said with his right hand tightly wrapped following the Sox’s wild 10-6 win at Cleveland. “And I’m thinking ‘How is that possible?’
“Then he said, ‘No, it’s not (broken).’
“Are you kidding me with that?” Beckham continued. “That’s Rookie League.”
X-ray technician is probably pretty high up on the list of jobs where having a good sense of humor (or at least thinking you have a good sense of humor) is a negative thing.
Brent Lillibridge replaced Beckham at second base and made a throwing error that allowed the Indians to tie the score, but then made up for it by hitting the game-winning homer in extra innings.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)