Aug 31, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Gordon Beckham has been diagnosed with merely a bruise despite leaving last night’s game after taking a Frank Hermann fastball off the right hand, but not before the X-ray technician initially told him it was broken.
Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune described the scene:
Beckham didn’t think his hand was broken, but he was caught off guard after an x-ray technician told him the results.
“The guy came out of the X-ray room saying it’s broken,” Beckham said with his right hand tightly wrapped following the Sox’s wild 10-6 win at Cleveland. “And I’m thinking ‘How is that possible?’
“Then he said, ‘No, it’s not (broken).’
“Are you kidding me with that?” Beckham continued. “That’s Rookie League.”
X-ray technician is probably pretty high up on the list of jobs where having a good sense of humor (or at least thinking you have a good sense of humor) is a negative thing.
Brent Lillibridge replaced Beckham at second base and made a throwing error that allowed the Indians to tie the score, but then made up for it by hitting the game-winning homer in extra innings.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (76)