Aug 31, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Gordon Beckham has been diagnosed with merely a bruise despite leaving last night’s game after taking a Frank Hermann fastball off the right hand, but not before the X-ray technician initially told him it was broken.
Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune described the scene:
Beckham didn’t think his hand was broken, but he was caught off guard after an x-ray technician told him the results.
“The guy came out of the X-ray room saying it’s broken,” Beckham said with his right hand tightly wrapped following the Sox’s wild 10-6 win at Cleveland. “And I’m thinking ‘How is that possible?’
“Then he said, ‘No, it’s not (broken).’
“Are you kidding me with that?” Beckham continued. “That’s Rookie League.”
X-ray technician is probably pretty high up on the list of jobs where having a good sense of humor (or at least thinking you have a good sense of humor) is a negative thing.
Brent Lillibridge replaced Beckham at second base and made a throwing error that allowed the Indians to tie the score, but then made up for it by hitting the game-winning homer in extra innings.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59