Sep 1, 2010, 5:14 PM EDT
Last week the Angels traded Brian Fuentes to the Twins for a player to be named later, with the two sides announcing today that the player is Loek Van Mil.
Van Mil isn’t much of a prospect, ranking No. 39 on my annual list of the Twins’ best prospects coming into this season and having a miserable year between high Single-A and Double-A. On the other hand his full name is Ludovicus Jacobus Maria Van Mil, he’s 7-foot-1, and he’s from the Netherlands, so he qualifies as “intriguing” regardless of how well he pitches.
Minnesota designated Van Mil for assignment last week to clear him from the 40-man roster and he went unclaimed on waivers, so in terms of prospect stock he’s little more than a throw-in flier at this point. For the Angels the real value of dealing Fuentes was simply to clear the $1.8 million left on his contract for this season off the books. They can use some of that money to pay for Van Mil’s custom uniforms.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)