Sep 1, 2010, 5:14 PM EDT
Last week the Angels traded Brian Fuentes to the Twins for a player to be named later, with the two sides announcing today that the player is Loek Van Mil.
Van Mil isn’t much of a prospect, ranking No. 39 on my annual list of the Twins’ best prospects coming into this season and having a miserable year between high Single-A and Double-A. On the other hand his full name is Ludovicus Jacobus Maria Van Mil, he’s 7-foot-1, and he’s from the Netherlands, so he qualifies as “intriguing” regardless of how well he pitches.
Minnesota designated Van Mil for assignment last week to clear him from the 40-man roster and he went unclaimed on waivers, so in terms of prospect stock he’s little more than a throw-in flier at this point. For the Angels the real value of dealing Fuentes was simply to clear the $1.8 million left on his contract for this season off the books. They can use some of that money to pay for Van Mil’s custom uniforms.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 33
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)