Sep 1, 2010, 5:14 PM EDT
Last week the Angels traded Brian Fuentes to the Twins for a player to be named later, with the two sides announcing today that the player is Loek Van Mil.
Van Mil isn’t much of a prospect, ranking No. 39 on my annual list of the Twins’ best prospects coming into this season and having a miserable year between high Single-A and Double-A. On the other hand his full name is Ludovicus Jacobus Maria Van Mil, he’s 7-foot-1, and he’s from the Netherlands, so he qualifies as “intriguing” regardless of how well he pitches.
Minnesota designated Van Mil for assignment last week to clear him from the 40-man roster and he went unclaimed on waivers, so in terms of prospect stock he’s little more than a throw-in flier at this point. For the Angels the real value of dealing Fuentes was simply to clear the $1.8 million left on his contract for this season off the books. They can use some of that money to pay for Van Mil’s custom uniforms.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17