Sep 1, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Bobby Seay was the Tigers’ primary left-handed specialist from 2007 to 2009, appearing in 185 games with a 3.75 ERA during that time, but he hasn’t pitched this season because of a shoulder injury and is now expected to miss all of next season as well.
Seay initially tried to rehab the injury, but said today that he’ll undergo surgery within the next two weeks and will likely be sidelined for 10-12 months. That’s essentially the worst-case scenario, because had Seay undergone the surgery back in March he’d have a decent shot to be ready by spring training. Instead, he’ll be aiming for spring of 2012 and may have to do the rehabbing on his own because he’s an impending free agent.
“My main thing is to wear a Tigers uniform again and get big outs for Jim Leyland,” Seay told John Lowe of the Detroit Free Press. “The doctor told me that if the surgery goes well, my arm will feel like it would for someone in their mid-20s.”
Perhaps, but torn labrums are notoriously difficult to come back from and even if things go smoothly Seay will likely be 34 years old before he faces big-league hitters again.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)