Sep 1, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Typically the Arizona Fall League is for young, up-and-coming prospects, but yesterday the Angels announced that 25-year-old Brandon Wood will participate after sitting on their bench for most of the season.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Wood “wanted to play winter ball in Latin America in hopes of getting enough at-bats to regain his stroke and confidence, but he is getting married in early December and wanted to remain close to home” in Scottsdale.
To give a sense of how out of place a 25-year-old with parts of four seasons in the majors under his belt will be in the AFL, consider that none of the other five players being sent there by the Angels spent this season above Double-A and all but one are 22 or younger. Oh, and Wood played in the AFL five years ago when he was actually a prospect.
Wood has clearly fallen out of the Angels’ plans after hitting .180 with a brutal 128/11 K/BB ratio through 431 career plate appearances and in theory the AFL is a place to showcase him in front of the maximum number of scouts, but even if he thrives there I’m not sure how impressed other teams will be with a 25-year-old beating up on Single-A and Double-A pitchers.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)