Sep 1, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Typically the Arizona Fall League is for young, up-and-coming prospects, but yesterday the Angels announced that 25-year-old Brandon Wood will participate after sitting on their bench for most of the season.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Wood “wanted to play winter ball in Latin America in hopes of getting enough at-bats to regain his stroke and confidence, but he is getting married in early December and wanted to remain close to home” in Scottsdale.
To give a sense of how out of place a 25-year-old with parts of four seasons in the majors under his belt will be in the AFL, consider that none of the other five players being sent there by the Angels spent this season above Double-A and all but one are 22 or younger. Oh, and Wood played in the AFL five years ago when he was actually a prospect.
Wood has clearly fallen out of the Angels’ plans after hitting .180 with a brutal 128/11 K/BB ratio through 431 career plate appearances and in theory the AFL is a place to showcase him in front of the maximum number of scouts, but even if he thrives there I’m not sure how impressed other teams will be with a 25-year-old beating up on Single-A and Double-A pitchers.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)