Sep 1, 2010, 6:01 PM EDT
As expected, the Braves purchased the contract of first baseman Freddie Freeman from Triple-A Gwinnett today. He’ll get the start tonight against the Mets, batting sixth, playing first base.
Very few of the Braves’ midseason moves were of much consequence. Rick Ankiel and Derrek Lee have sub-.700 OPSeseses since coming over, and Kyle Farnsworthless is who we thought he was. The team has lived by the bench this year, and of course, by rookies like Heyward, Mike Minor, Jonny Venters and whoever else Bobby Cox has been able to plug in.
Freeman is just the latest in that line. He’s 20, so he’s way young for AAA, but he has managed to hit to the tune of .319/.378/.521 at Gwinnett this season. Freeman
is almost certainly going to have a chance to be the starter in 2011, but if he can hit the ground running starting tonight, he may push Lee into the margins sooner rather than later.
Oh, and to match the Tigers’ feel-good story from this morning, the Braves also called up a long-time minor league catcher of their own: JC Boscan. Fourteen seasons in the minors, never a sniff of the bigs.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)