Sep 1, 2010, 6:01 PM EDT
As expected, the Braves purchased the contract of first baseman Freddie Freeman from Triple-A Gwinnett today. He’ll get the start tonight against the Mets, batting sixth, playing first base.
Very few of the Braves’ midseason moves were of much consequence. Rick Ankiel and Derrek Lee have sub-.700 OPSeseses since coming over, and Kyle Farnsworthless is who we thought he was. The team has lived by the bench this year, and of course, by rookies like Heyward, Mike Minor, Jonny Venters and whoever else Bobby Cox has been able to plug in.
Freeman is just the latest in that line. He’s 20, so he’s way young for AAA, but he has managed to hit to the tune of .319/.378/.521 at Gwinnett this season. Freeman
is almost certainly going to have a chance to be the starter in 2011, but if he can hit the ground running starting tonight, he may push Lee into the margins sooner rather than later.
Oh, and to match the Tigers’ feel-good story from this morning, the Braves also called up a long-time minor league catcher of their own: JC Boscan. Fourteen seasons in the minors, never a sniff of the bigs.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 7
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 159
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 20
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (175)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)