Sep 1, 2010, 6:01 PM EST
As expected, the Braves purchased the contract of first baseman Freddie Freeman from Triple-A Gwinnett today. He’ll get the start tonight against the Mets, batting sixth, playing first base.
Very few of the Braves’ midseason moves were of much consequence. Rick Ankiel and Derrek Lee have sub-.700 OPSeseses since coming over, and Kyle Farnsworthless is who we thought he was. The team has lived by the bench this year, and of course, by rookies like Heyward, Mike Minor, Jonny Venters and whoever else Bobby Cox has been able to plug in.
Freeman is just the latest in that line. He’s 20, so he’s way young for AAA, but he has managed to hit to the tune of .319/.378/.521 at Gwinnett this season. Freeman
is almost certainly going to have a chance to be the starter in 2011, but if he can hit the ground running starting tonight, he may push Lee into the margins sooner rather than later.
Oh, and to match the Tigers’ feel-good story from this morning, the Braves also called up a long-time minor league catcher of their own: JC Boscan. Fourteen seasons in the minors, never a sniff of the bigs.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)