Sep 1, 2010, 6:01 PM EDT
As expected, the Braves purchased the contract of first baseman Freddie Freeman from Triple-A Gwinnett today. He’ll get the start tonight against the Mets, batting sixth, playing first base.
Very few of the Braves’ midseason moves were of much consequence. Rick Ankiel and Derrek Lee have sub-.700 OPSeseses since coming over, and Kyle Farnsworthless is who we thought he was. The team has lived by the bench this year, and of course, by rookies like Heyward, Mike Minor, Jonny Venters and whoever else Bobby Cox has been able to plug in.
Freeman is just the latest in that line. He’s 20, so he’s way young for AAA, but he has managed to hit to the tune of .319/.378/.521 at Gwinnett this season. Freeman
is almost certainly going to have a chance to be the starter in 2011, but if he can hit the ground running starting tonight, he may push Lee into the margins sooner rather than later.
Oh, and to match the Tigers’ feel-good story from this morning, the Braves also called up a long-time minor league catcher of their own: JC Boscan. Fourteen seasons in the minors, never a sniff of the bigs.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 0
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 130
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (130)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)