Sep 1, 2010, 6:01 PM EDT
As expected, the Braves purchased the contract of first baseman Freddie Freeman from Triple-A Gwinnett today. He’ll get the start tonight against the Mets, batting sixth, playing first base.
Very few of the Braves’ midseason moves were of much consequence. Rick Ankiel and Derrek Lee have sub-.700 OPSeseses since coming over, and Kyle Farnsworthless is who we thought he was. The team has lived by the bench this year, and of course, by rookies like Heyward, Mike Minor, Jonny Venters and whoever else Bobby Cox has been able to plug in.
Freeman is just the latest in that line. He’s 20, so he’s way young for AAA, but he has managed to hit to the tune of .319/.378/.521 at Gwinnett this season. Freeman
is almost certainly going to have a chance to be the starter in 2011, but if he can hit the ground running starting tonight, he may push Lee into the margins sooner rather than later.
Oh, and to match the Tigers’ feel-good story from this morning, the Braves also called up a long-time minor league catcher of their own: JC Boscan. Fourteen seasons in the minors, never a sniff of the bigs.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)