Sep 1, 2010, 2:18 PM EDT
Nine runs of support from the Rangers’ lineup took him off the hook for a loss, but Cliff Lee struggled again last night and didn’t make it out of the fifth inning against the Royals.
Lee allowed seven runs in 4.2 innings–including three unearned runs due to his own throwing error–and coughed up 10 hits while facing only 25 batters. He also served up his 10th homer in 11 starts with the Rangers after giving up a total of just 12 long balls in 25 combined starts with the Phillies and Mariners.
Lee has allowed four or more runs in five straight starts for the first time since 2006 and is now 2-5 with a 4.69 ERA and 72/6 K/BB ratio in 80.2 innings for the Rangers, so while his excellent secondary numbers continue to suggest a return to dominance the impending free agent is running out of time to give Texas a positive return on what was a pretty substantial investment.
Until next month, of course, when no matter how Lee fares down the stretch he can make or break the trade with his playoff performance.
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 26
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 110
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)