Comment of the Day: let's not get too worked up over the Sox docs

Sep 1, 2010, 5:28 PM EDT

Longtime reader Evan has a pretty good point in response to the Red Sox medical staff stuff from earlier this afternoon. Basically, the knives are out for one and all as it dawns on everyone that the season is going to end on October 3rd:

I think this is more a product of the team’s disappointing season rather than anything tangible.  If the Sox were in first place (or even ahead  in the Wild Card standings) would anyone be questioning decisions by their medical staff and/or communication from their front office?  No.

When a season doesn’t go your way, everyone from the bat boy to the owner is an accessory.  I bet someone writes an article about the rude parking lot attendants that send disillusioned fans into the stadium. Instead of cheering, the fans spend the game complaining about the bad service and the home field advantage is jeopardized.

He could very well be right. Red Sox Nation has a tendency to eat their own when things go bad.

1. El Bravo - Sep 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM

and boy are Red Sox fans tasty.

2. Trevor B - Sep 1, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Yeah, they’re not fatty and greasy like those Yankee fans.

3. Paper Lions - Sep 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Obviously, this year’s Red Sox season is all Manny’s fault.

4. geoknows - Sep 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM

This is not unique to the Red Sox – Yankees fans are the same way.

5. GP - Sep 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM

How dare they expect to be in the playoffs every year! How dare they be disappointed and/or bitter when they don’t make it!
    This is no different than any other fan base that actually gives a crap about their team.
    In a season plagued with injuries, of course people are going to look at the medical staff. That doesn’t mean they’ve done anything wrong, but it’s completely natural and normal to look when trying to answer the more general question of “what went wrong?”.
    If my team and/or fellow fans didn’t ask this question at the end of every season that ends without a playoff appearance, I’d be disappointed and the team would likely not be an annual contender.
    Aside from the terrible pitching from a few key players, injuries were the biggest story of the year for the Red Sox. So go ahead, ask the questions, find the answers, and get better as a result.

6. Proudly Canadian - Sep 1, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I have fun teasing Red Sox fans on Boston.com. Some of them are jerks; however, the majority are OK. They just do not realize that the reason that the Sox have lost some games is that the other teams are just better than The Red Sox on those nights when the Sox lose. Winning the World Series after decades of ineptitude gave many Sox fans a distorted view of reality.

7. David - Sep 1, 2010 at 6:42 PM

OR, you could say that appropriate medical attention to several key players could have been the difference between the team being in the playoff hunt instead of booking tee times in October. They obviously botched Ellsbury (no broken ribs, maybe broken ribs, healed broken ribs, not healed broken ribs, healed broken ribs again etc etc), Cameron and Pedroia (maybe grounders from his knees was ill-advised).
    If they had those three guys for significantly more games then they did, maybe they wouldn’t be on the outside looking in.

8. FrankZappa - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM

the ellsbury case alone should be sufficient reason to fire every last one of those quacks…who can we string up next?

9. Professor Dave - Sep 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM

with Lester now struggling, along with Beckett and Lackey, I’m expecting Farrell next.

10. Glenn - Sep 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I think that most of us are aware that we aren’t winning this thing with half of a AAA team out there. It’s one of those years.

11. Buccofan - Sep 1, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Parking lot attendants? Are there any parking lots near Fenway?

12. Evan - Sep 2, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Craig, I’m flattered that I made your comment of the day. Thank you.
    David, the injury bug bit the Red Sox very hard this year. Its not like a different medical staff would have miraculously cured Ellsbury’, Pedroia, Youkilis, Cameron etc. I’m a Yankee fan and I couldn’t be more disappointed with the Red Sox. I find myself looking forward to football and college sports moreso than October. I’ll still watch, but nothing beats a Yankee/Red Sox pennant race followed by a heartstopping ALCS.

13. David - Sep 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Sure the injury bug bit hard, but the Red Sox medical team didn’t do anything to help it. Maybe a correct initial diagnosis of Ellsbury could have led to the proper course of treatment, instead of rushing him back out there. Perhaps he heals after 4 weeks and plays the rest of the season. Same for Pedroia, or for Cameron. And these are the misdiagnoses we know about.
    I don’t know of course. I’m not a doctor, but if I was in charge in Boston I would give it a long, hard look and want to hear some pretty spectacular answers.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win