Sep 1, 2010, 6:50 PM EST
Workaholic Jason Kendall is going to have to learn to deal with some time off. He’s slated for rotator cuff surgery Friday that could sideline him into the 2011 season.
Kendall has a tear in his throwing shoulder that manager Ned Yost said he’d need 8-10 months to recover from. Kendall, though, is hoping to start the season on time.
The 36-year-old Kendall finishes the year at .256/.318/.297 with no homers, 37 RBI and 12 steals in 434 at-bats. He had started a major league-high 118 of the Royals’ 132 games behind the plate. Earlier this season, he joined Carlton Fisk, Bob Boone, Gary Carter and Ivan Rodriguez as the only players ever to catch 2,000 games.
Fortunately, Kendall has that foolish two-year, $6 million contract that the Royals gave him last December, so the injury won’t hurt him financially. He may well have had to accept a minor league deal had he been a free agent this winter, but as is, he can look forward to making a cool $3.75 million even if he misses a big chunk of next year.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 60
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 32
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)