Sep 1, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
Workaholic Jason Kendall is going to have to learn to deal with some time off. He’s slated for rotator cuff surgery Friday that could sideline him into the 2011 season.
Kendall has a tear in his throwing shoulder that manager Ned Yost said he’d need 8-10 months to recover from. Kendall, though, is hoping to start the season on time.
The 36-year-old Kendall finishes the year at .256/.318/.297 with no homers, 37 RBI and 12 steals in 434 at-bats. He had started a major league-high 118 of the Royals’ 132 games behind the plate. Earlier this season, he joined Carlton Fisk, Bob Boone, Gary Carter and Ivan Rodriguez as the only players ever to catch 2,000 games.
Fortunately, Kendall has that foolish two-year, $6 million contract that the Royals gave him last December, so the injury won’t hurt him financially. He may well have had to accept a minor league deal had he been a free agent this winter, but as is, he can look forward to making a cool $3.75 million even if he misses a big chunk of next year.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (96)