Jeff Francoeur, the media really confused on his value

Sep 1, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT

Jeff Francoeur thinks he played well in the first half. The press thinks his clubhouse presence was valuable. And people say I get nuts when talking about Jeff Francoeur.

“I had a great three months of the season, and it fell off for me and the team.”

Jeff Francoeur, talking to the Star-Telegram about how things went for him in New York this year.

I’m assuming you get your press credentials revoked if you immediately respond to comments like that by saying “But Jeff, your first half OPS was .695? You hit .211/.262/.274 in May! What part of that was ‘great?’”

Not that Francoeur is the only one confused about the quality of his tenure in Queens.  This morning Newsday’s David Lennon tweeted the following:

Bottom line: Francoeur helped change clubhouse climate for his brief period here. Mets needed it, thanked him by trade to contender.

Probably worth noting that a Mets player knocked his girlfriend’s dad the hell out in that clubhouse a couple of weeks ago, so Francoeur’s calming presence only goes so far. Probably also worth noting that Francoeur very publicly demanded more playing time recently, which is usually the kind of thing that gets labeled clubhouse cancers, not standup guys like Lennon portrays Frenchy. Of course, the rules have always been a bit different for him than other guys.

That aside, if Francoeuer truly was great in the clubhouse we now know unequivocally that being great in the clubhouse is utterly useless from a baseball perspective, because the Mets have gone in the toilet over the past couple of months, and no amount of charm and positive attitude from Francoeur was able to change it.

1. SadPandaRevolt - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM

The man is completely delusional. Like, Ollie Perez delusional. Glad I don’t have to have my head explode every time he plays anymore.

2. Kevin S. - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:30 AM

If OPS was so important, Craig, why isn’t it on the Jumbotron?!

3. Kevin S. - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM

/frenchie’d
    //really effing pissed that Francoeur has the same nickname I go by in other parts of the interwebs

4. Simon DelMonte - Sep 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Some of us will miss him. And also feel that you really have it in for him. Funny how you seem to write more about him than, say, Albert Pujols.

5. yesitsme - Sep 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Who’s Francoeur? I want to talk about Manny.

6. yesitsme - Sep 1, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Who’s Francoeur? I want to talk about Manny.

7. John_Michael - Sep 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Maybe Francoeur is like that kid on a little league team that tries really hard and everyone likes, but isn’t very good. Everyone wants him to succeed so they keep providing more and more chances, but it never works out.
    Misplaced parental determination? Feel good stories about the Little Engine That Could? Sisyphus?

8. RichardInBigD - Sep 1, 2010 at 4:43 PM

He may not KNOW what good in the clubhouse MEANS… He will, however, find out in short order in Arlington. This place is like one big party when things are going well (which they usually are), and a roomful of helping hands when things get a little rough.

9. Cantankerous - Sep 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Because I think this is fun, here are Jeff Francoeur’s stats over various periods this season:
    Games 1-10: .457/.535/.857
    Games 11-47: .146/.197/.228
    Games 48-66: .412/.446/.574
    Games 67-124: .189/.241/.291
    So, that’s 29 games as Ted Williams and 95 games as Johan Santana.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4113)