Sep 1, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT
“I had a great three months of the season, and it fell off for me and the team.”
Jeff Francoeur, talking to the Star-Telegram about how things went for him in New York this year.
I’m assuming you get your press credentials revoked if you immediately respond to comments like that by saying “But Jeff, your first half OPS was .695? You hit .211/.262/.274 in May! What part of that was ‘great?'”
Not that Francoeur is the only one confused about the quality of his tenure in Queens. This morning Newsday’s David Lennon tweeted the following:
Bottom line: Francoeur helped change clubhouse climate for his brief period here. Mets needed it, thanked him by trade to contender.
Probably worth noting that a Mets player knocked his girlfriend’s dad the hell out in that clubhouse a couple of weeks ago, so Francoeur’s calming presence only goes so far. Probably also worth noting that Francoeur very publicly demanded more playing time recently, which is usually the kind of thing that gets labeled clubhouse cancers, not standup guys like Lennon portrays Frenchy. Of course, the rules have always been a bit different for him than other guys.
That aside, if Francoeuer truly was great in the clubhouse we now know unequivocally that being great in the clubhouse is utterly useless from a baseball perspective, because the Mets have gone in the toilet over the past couple of months, and no amount of charm and positive attitude from Francoeur was able to change it.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)