Sep 1, 2010, 10:17 AM EDT
Brian Fuentes struck out Russell Branyan for a one-out save in his Twins debut, but it may be a while before he pitches a second time for Minnesota.
Fuentes is expected to be unavailable for at least 2-3 days after tweaking his back, which is a tough break for the Twins considering that represents about 10 percent of his total time with the team following last week’s trade with the Angels.
Of course, the Twins likely picked up Fuentes as much for the playoffs as for the final six weeks of the regular season, so as long as he’s healthy enough to face Josh Hamilton, Robinson Cano, Carl Crawford, Curtis Granderson, and Carlos Pena in October they’ll be happy with the move.
Minnesota is also dealing with recent injuries to Jason Kubel, Jim Thome, and Orlando Hudson, with Kevin Slowey, Nick Punto, Ron Mahay, and Jose Mijares on the disabled list, and Justin Morneau still isn’t close to returning from a concussion suffered on July 7, so as Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com writes the stretch run may be a battle of attrition for the AL Central leaders.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)