Sep 1, 2010, 11:17 PM EDT
Bad news for the Marlins tonight, but news they should have seen coming.
According to Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald, Marlins right-hander Ricky Nolasco is going to be shut down for the rest of the season and will undergo knee surgery next week.
Nolasco was diagnosed with a torn meniscus in his right knee five days ago but was given clearance to pitch through it. He probably shouldn’t have been given that clearance — when you consider the severity of most meniscus tears — and it would be a shame if it affects his readiness for the 2011 season.
The 27-year-old has fanned 53 batters in 47 innings since the All-Star break and shown signs of real development. Let’s hope he can pick up where he left off when next season rolls around.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)