Sep 1, 2010, 11:17 PM EDT
Bad news for the Marlins tonight, but news they should have seen coming.
According to Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald, Marlins right-hander Ricky Nolasco is going to be shut down for the rest of the season and will undergo knee surgery next week.
Nolasco was diagnosed with a torn meniscus in his right knee five days ago but was given clearance to pitch through it. He probably shouldn’t have been given that clearance — when you consider the severity of most meniscus tears — and it would be a shame if it affects his readiness for the 2011 season.
The 27-year-old has fanned 53 batters in 47 innings since the All-Star break and shown signs of real development. Let’s hope he can pick up where he left off when next season rolls around.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)