Sep 1, 2010, 11:17 PM EST
Bad news for the Marlins tonight, but news they should have seen coming.
According to Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald, Marlins right-hander Ricky Nolasco is going to be shut down for the rest of the season and will undergo knee surgery next week.
Nolasco was diagnosed with a torn meniscus in his right knee five days ago but was given clearance to pitch through it. He probably shouldn’t have been given that clearance — when you consider the severity of most meniscus tears — and it would be a shame if it affects his readiness for the 2011 season.
The 27-year-old has fanned 53 batters in 47 innings since the All-Star break and shown signs of real development. Let’s hope he can pick up where he left off when next season rolls around.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)