Sep 1, 2010, 9:19 PM EDT
The same player who threw a ball at a fan in Philadelphia in mid-August, steamrolled an unsuspecting Cardinals backup catcher last week, and gave Marlins catcher Brett Hayes a dislocated shoulder on Tuesday night with a ridiculous hockey-like check at home plate is back at it again.
Nationals outfielder Nyjer Morgan started a benches-clearing clearing brawl on Wednesday night at the Marlins’ Sun
Life Stadium when he charged the mound after Florida right-hander Chris
Volstad threw behind him in the sixth inning.
Morgan was hit by a Volstad pitch earlier in the night that served as retaliation for his cheap shot on Hayes, but the Fish took exception again when he stole second base and stole third base in a blowout.
He headed straight toward Volstad after the pitch whizzed by him in the sixth, threw a punch to the pitcher’s face, then was clothes-lined by Marlins first baseman Gaby Sanchez.
Volstad got a few grazing shots in on Morgan before Nationals third base coach Pat Listach jumped on the right-hander and held him to the ground. Listach, while mostly serving as a peacemaker, is sure to see some discipline from Major League Baseball for interfering so violently with a player scuffle.
Morgan was ejected and screamed at the fans in south Florida before making his exit, pumping his chest in pride. Volstad was also tossed and is likely to be handed a lengthy suspension.
The Marlins have a series in D.C. in mid-September that should feature even more fireworks.
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a serious Achilles injury Saturday night 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)