Sep 1, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Nationals center fielder Nyjer Morgan is currently appealing his seven-game suspension for throwing a ball into the stands after jawing with fans in Philadelphia last week, but in the meantime he got into another “incident” with a fan at last night’s game in Florida.
After getting into his second home-plate collision with a catcher in the past week–injuring Marlins backstop Brett Hayes–Morgan took his place out in center field and began angrily shouting at a fan.
I’m not a professional lip-reader or anything, but it seems pretty clear that he’s saying … well, let’s go with “shut up, you obese female dog.” You can see the video here.
He’s also hitting just .257/.317/.319 and has been caught stealing a league-high 15 times, so Morgan has been an all-around mess this season. It wouldn’t be surprising to see the Nationals non-tender him this winter.
- Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 0
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 74
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)