Sep 1, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
Nationals center fielder Nyjer Morgan is currently appealing his seven-game suspension for throwing a ball into the stands after jawing with fans in Philadelphia last week, but in the meantime he got into another “incident” with a fan at last night’s game in Florida.
After getting into his second home-plate collision with a catcher in the past week–injuring Marlins backstop Brett Hayes–Morgan took his place out in center field and began angrily shouting at a fan.
I’m not a professional lip-reader or anything, but it seems pretty clear that he’s saying … well, let’s go with “shut up, you obese female dog.” You can see the video here.
He’s also hitting just .257/.317/.319 and has been caught stealing a league-high 15 times, so Morgan has been an all-around mess this season. It wouldn’t be surprising to see the Nationals non-tender him this winter.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 79
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 22
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15