Sep 1, 2010, 4:28 PM EST
Pirates team President Frank Coonelly sat down for his monthly web chat earlier today, and was asked by a reader how it felt to run “the losingest team in baseball.” His response:
Given that we have many young readers of this chat, I will keep my
answer G-rated: It stinks. It’s embarrassing, painful and incredibly
aggravating. I never expected us to sit with just 44 wins on Sept. 1,
2010. We have more talent than that, and I expect us to play much better
during this final month.
Nothin’ personal against Coonelly, but I am going to guess that you could count the number of “young readers” surfing over to a Frank Coonelly live chat on one hand and still have enough fingers left over to pick your nose and pound out the opening drum riff to “Wipe Out” by the Surfaris on the desk at the same time.
Well, maybe I’m wrong. I mean, I still remember the days of my youth, when my brother and I used to camp outside of Jim Campbell’s house in Grosse Pointe, hoping to catch a glimpse of him — maybe snag an autograph — and, perchance, to hear him hold forth on what the future held for the Tigers.
Those executives are why we all fell in love with the game, I imagine.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)