Sep 1, 2010, 4:28 PM EDT
Pirates team President Frank Coonelly sat down for his monthly web chat earlier today, and was asked by a reader how it felt to run “the losingest team in baseball.” His response:
Given that we have many young readers of this chat, I will keep my
answer G-rated: It stinks. It’s embarrassing, painful and incredibly
aggravating. I never expected us to sit with just 44 wins on Sept. 1,
2010. We have more talent than that, and I expect us to play much better
during this final month.
Nothin’ personal against Coonelly, but I am going to guess that you could count the number of “young readers” surfing over to a Frank Coonelly live chat on one hand and still have enough fingers left over to pick your nose and pound out the opening drum riff to “Wipe Out” by the Surfaris on the desk at the same time.
Well, maybe I’m wrong. I mean, I still remember the days of my youth, when my brother and I used to camp outside of Jim Campbell’s house in Grosse Pointe, hoping to catch a glimpse of him — maybe snag an autograph — and, perchance, to hear him hold forth on what the future held for the Tigers.
Those executives are why we all fell in love with the game, I imagine.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 8
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 15
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)