Sep 1, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Rafael Furcal suffered a setback when he was close to coming off the disabled list about two weeks ago, but the Dodgers shortstop is once again on the verge of returning from the lower back injury that has sidelined him since August 3.
Furcal is slated to begin a brief minor league rehab assignment today at Triple-A and Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that he could be back in the Dodgers’ lineup for the start of Friday’s crucial three-game series against the Giants.
Jamey Carroll has started all but one of the 27 games at shortstop in Furcal’s absence, hitting .318 with a .412 on-base percentage. Depending on the status of Ryan Theriot’s knee injury, manager Joe Torre may look to keep Carroll in the lineup with some action at second base.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)