Sep 1, 2010, 4:46 PM EST
Rafael Furcal suffered a setback when he was close to coming off the disabled list about two weeks ago, but the Dodgers shortstop is once again on the verge of returning from the lower back injury that has sidelined him since August 3.
Furcal is slated to begin a brief minor league rehab assignment today at Triple-A and Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that he could be back in the Dodgers’ lineup for the start of Friday’s crucial three-game series against the Giants.
Jamey Carroll has started all but one of the 27 games at shortstop in Furcal’s absence, hitting .318 with a .412 on-base percentage. Depending on the status of Ryan Theriot’s knee injury, manager Joe Torre may look to keep Carroll in the lineup with some action at second base.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (93)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)