Sep 1, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Rafael Furcal suffered a setback when he was close to coming off the disabled list about two weeks ago, but the Dodgers shortstop is once again on the verge of returning from the lower back injury that has sidelined him since August 3.
Furcal is slated to begin a brief minor league rehab assignment today at Triple-A and Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that he could be back in the Dodgers’ lineup for the start of Friday’s crucial three-game series against the Giants.
Jamey Carroll has started all but one of the 27 games at shortstop in Furcal’s absence, hitting .318 with a .412 on-base percentage. Depending on the status of Ryan Theriot’s knee injury, manager Joe Torre may look to keep Carroll in the lineup with some action at second base.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 162
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (162)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)