Sep 1, 2010, 5:47 PM EDT
Rob Dibble made headlines twice last month for controversial comments about female baseball fans and Stephen Strasburg’s elbow injury, and today MASN and the Nationals announced that he’s been let go as the team’s television analyst.
I’ve written quite a bit about Dibble recently, so I won’t rehash all my points again, but suffice it to say there are a lot of happy Nationals fans right now.
Ultimately telling Strasburg to “suck it up” and “stop crying” when it turned out he had an elbow injury that requires Tommy John surgery is what cost Dibble his job, but even setting aside the various controversies he could have just as easily been fired for simply being a terrible announcer.
Dibble was a Hawk Harrelson-level homer, except without any of the charm, story-telling ability, clever phrase-turning, or worthwhile analysis. He was just all grunts and low-brow machismo, and no real baseball fan tunes into a game to hear that garbage. I’m sure he’ll land on his feet with another prominent gig, because “loud” and “controversial” can generate ratings, but for now at least he’s no longer in the same profession as Vin Scully.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)