Sep 1, 2010, 5:47 PM EST
Rob Dibble made headlines twice last month for controversial comments about female baseball fans and Stephen Strasburg’s elbow injury, and today MASN and the Nationals announced that he’s been let go as the team’s television analyst.
I’ve written quite a bit about Dibble recently, so I won’t rehash all my points again, but suffice it to say there are a lot of happy Nationals fans right now.
Ultimately telling Strasburg to “suck it up” and “stop crying” when it turned out he had an elbow injury that requires Tommy John surgery is what cost Dibble his job, but even setting aside the various controversies he could have just as easily been fired for simply being a terrible announcer.
Dibble was a Hawk Harrelson-level homer, except without any of the charm, story-telling ability, clever phrase-turning, or worthwhile analysis. He was just all grunts and low-brow machismo, and no real baseball fan tunes into a game to hear that garbage. I’m sure he’ll land on his feet with another prominent gig, because “loud” and “controversial” can generate ratings, but for now at least he’s no longer in the same profession as Vin Scully.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 17
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 49
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)