Sep 1, 2010, 5:47 PM EDT
Rob Dibble made headlines twice last month for controversial comments about female baseball fans and Stephen Strasburg’s elbow injury, and today MASN and the Nationals announced that he’s been let go as the team’s television analyst.
I’ve written quite a bit about Dibble recently, so I won’t rehash all my points again, but suffice it to say there are a lot of happy Nationals fans right now.
Ultimately telling Strasburg to “suck it up” and “stop crying” when it turned out he had an elbow injury that requires Tommy John surgery is what cost Dibble his job, but even setting aside the various controversies he could have just as easily been fired for simply being a terrible announcer.
Dibble was a Hawk Harrelson-level homer, except without any of the charm, story-telling ability, clever phrase-turning, or worthwhile analysis. He was just all grunts and low-brow machismo, and no real baseball fan tunes into a game to hear that garbage. I’m sure he’ll land on his feet with another prominent gig, because “loud” and “controversial” can generate ratings, but for now at least he’s no longer in the same profession as Vin Scully.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 22
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)