Sep 1, 2010, 8:46 AM EDT
Despite the fact that there’s a gag order in place on the participants in the Roger Clemens trial, and despite the fact that there is absolutely nothing interesting about a retired baseball player playing golf, the Daily News has sent a reporter to basically stalk Roger Clemens down at that amateur tournament he’s playing in down at Myrtle Beach.
Roger Clemens has a lot of problems, but he seems to have a pretty good handle on where the Daily News is coming from:
After finishing up the par-4 18th hole at True Blue – Clemens began
his round on the 9th hole – he was asked by a Daily News reporter
outside the clubhouse if he’d be open to talking after he finished his
round, as long as the subject was golf related.
When told the reporter was from the Daily News, he said, “The Daily
News? That’s comical. You must know (Brian) McNamee real well.”
He pretty much nailed it there. The Daily News has basically been McNamee’s P.R. firm for the past two years. Which is fine. Everyone can pick a side if they’re into that sort of thing. But when you do so just don’t expect anyone — even Roger Clemens — to believe that you give a hoot about his golf game.
Indeed, based on the headline of that story — “Clemens plays golf while lawyers likely buried with documents” — it’s obvious that they’re trying to portray the guy as a pampered athlete, oblivious to the trouble he’s in.
Hint to the Daily News: after being given a mountain of evidence to sift through, the last thing a legal team in this kind of case wants is their client sitting in the conference room “helping.”
If they need him, they’ll call him. If they have a lot to cover, they’ll set up a meeting sometime. For now, they’re probably more than happy that he’s down on a golf course where he can’t interrupt them.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)