Sep 1, 2010, 8:46 AM EDT
Despite the fact that there’s a gag order in place on the participants in the Roger Clemens trial, and despite the fact that there is absolutely nothing interesting about a retired baseball player playing golf, the Daily News has sent a reporter to basically stalk Roger Clemens down at that amateur tournament he’s playing in down at Myrtle Beach.
Roger Clemens has a lot of problems, but he seems to have a pretty good handle on where the Daily News is coming from:
After finishing up the par-4 18th hole at True Blue – Clemens began
his round on the 9th hole – he was asked by a Daily News reporter
outside the clubhouse if he’d be open to talking after he finished his
round, as long as the subject was golf related.
When told the reporter was from the Daily News, he said, “The Daily
News? That’s comical. You must know (Brian) McNamee real well.”
He pretty much nailed it there. The Daily News has basically been McNamee’s P.R. firm for the past two years. Which is fine. Everyone can pick a side if they’re into that sort of thing. But when you do so just don’t expect anyone — even Roger Clemens — to believe that you give a hoot about his golf game.
Indeed, based on the headline of that story — “Clemens plays golf while lawyers likely buried with documents” — it’s obvious that they’re trying to portray the guy as a pampered athlete, oblivious to the trouble he’s in.
Hint to the Daily News: after being given a mountain of evidence to sift through, the last thing a legal team in this kind of case wants is their client sitting in the conference room “helping.”
If they need him, they’ll call him. If they have a lot to cover, they’ll set up a meeting sometime. For now, they’re probably more than happy that he’s down on a golf course where he can’t interrupt them.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 39
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 25
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 77
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)