Sep 1, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Cliff Lee admitted to the Rangers that he’s been dealing with discomfort in his lower back, and the team announced Wednesday that he was sent home to Texas for an examination and an injection of anti-inflammatories.
Lee has given up 30 runs — 27 earned — over 29 1/3 innings in his last five starts, all of which resulted in Rangers losses. He was especially poor in his last three, pitching a combined 15 1/3 innings in the games and surrendering six homers.
The Rangers said after Tuesday’s game that they’d give Lee an extra day off before his next start, which was to take place Monday against the Jays. That’s up in the air now as the team waits to see how he responds to the injection. The Rangers have Thursday off, so they won’t need a fifth starter again until next Tuesday.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 7
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)