Sep 1, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Cliff Lee admitted to the Rangers that he’s been dealing with discomfort in his lower back, and the team announced Wednesday that he was sent home to Texas for an examination and an injection of anti-inflammatories.
Lee has given up 30 runs — 27 earned — over 29 1/3 innings in his last five starts, all of which resulted in Rangers losses. He was especially poor in his last three, pitching a combined 15 1/3 innings in the games and surrendering six homers.
The Rangers said after Tuesday’s game that they’d give Lee an extra day off before his next start, which was to take place Monday against the Jays. That’s up in the air now as the team waits to see how he responds to the injection. The Rangers have Thursday off, so they won’t need a fifth starter again until next Tuesday.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)