Sep 1, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Cliff Lee admitted to the Rangers that he’s been dealing with discomfort in his lower back, and the team announced Wednesday that he was sent home to Texas for an examination and an injection of anti-inflammatories.
Lee has given up 30 runs — 27 earned — over 29 1/3 innings in his last five starts, all of which resulted in Rangers losses. He was especially poor in his last three, pitching a combined 15 1/3 innings in the games and surrendering six homers.
The Rangers said after Tuesday’s game that they’d give Lee an extra day off before his next start, which was to take place Monday against the Jays. That’s up in the air now as the team waits to see how he responds to the injection. The Rangers have Thursday off, so they won’t need a fifth starter again until next Tuesday.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 21
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)