Sep 1, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Cliff Lee admitted to the Rangers that he’s been dealing with discomfort in his lower back, and the team announced Wednesday that he was sent home to Texas for an examination and an injection of anti-inflammatories.
Lee has given up 30 runs — 27 earned — over 29 1/3 innings in his last five starts, all of which resulted in Rangers losses. He was especially poor in his last three, pitching a combined 15 1/3 innings in the games and surrendering six homers.
The Rangers said after Tuesday’s game that they’d give Lee an extra day off before his next start, which was to take place Monday against the Jays. That’s up in the air now as the team waits to see how he responds to the injection. The Rangers have Thursday off, so they won’t need a fifth starter again until next Tuesday.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)