Sep 1, 2010, 4:56 PM EDT
Another series against a bad team in the books, another series loss. The Cardinals lost 5-2 to the Astros today, completing the sweep for Houston. This follows the Redbirds dropping three of four to the Nats and two of three to the Pirates. If you can’t get right against those teams, you’ve got a hell of a lot wrong with you. By the time we go to bed tonight, they could be eight games back.
Today’s loss was the same story it’s been for a couple of weeks now: no offense. The return of Jeff Suppan from the disabled list was no manna from heaven either, as he gave up four runs — and walked four — in five innings.
The Cardinals get a day off tomorrow before the Reds come to town. It will be the last time those two teams face one another this year. To say this is a make or break series for St. Louis would be a profound understatement.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 16
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 23
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)