Sep 1, 2010, 1:32 PM EDT
Now that everyone seems to be declaring the competitive portion of the Red Sox season dead, look for a lot more hot stoveish speculation in the Boston media going forward. The latest: Nick Cafardo reports that the Sox have talked to Victor Martinez about a two-year contract.
It would make sense for the Sox to get started on that now. For all of his struggles this season, my guess is that there would be a lot of interest in Martinez if he hits the market. Catching is catching, you know? And given the really good chance that the Sox and David Ortiz won’t be able to see eye to eye on his 2011 salary, catching can be DH too.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)