Sep 1, 2010, 1:32 PM EDT
Now that everyone seems to be declaring the competitive portion of the Red Sox season dead, look for a lot more hot stoveish speculation in the Boston media going forward. The latest: Nick Cafardo reports that the Sox have talked to Victor Martinez about a two-year contract.
It would make sense for the Sox to get started on that now. For all of his struggles this season, my guess is that there would be a lot of interest in Martinez if he hits the market. Catching is catching, you know? And given the really good chance that the Sox and David Ortiz won’t be able to see eye to eye on his 2011 salary, catching can be DH too.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20