Sep 1, 2010, 1:32 PM EDT
Now that everyone seems to be declaring the competitive portion of the Red Sox season dead, look for a lot more hot stoveish speculation in the Boston media going forward. The latest: Nick Cafardo reports that the Sox have talked to Victor Martinez about a two-year contract.
It would make sense for the Sox to get started on that now. For all of his struggles this season, my guess is that there would be a lot of interest in Martinez if he hits the market. Catching is catching, you know? And given the really good chance that the Sox and David Ortiz won’t be able to see eye to eye on his 2011 salary, catching can be DH too.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 18
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 23
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)