Sep 1, 2010, 1:32 PM EDT
Now that everyone seems to be declaring the competitive portion of the Red Sox season dead, look for a lot more hot stoveish speculation in the Boston media going forward. The latest: Nick Cafardo reports that the Sox have talked to Victor Martinez about a two-year contract.
It would make sense for the Sox to get started on that now. For all of his struggles this season, my guess is that there would be a lot of interest in Martinez if he hits the market. Catching is catching, you know? And given the really good chance that the Sox and David Ortiz won’t be able to see eye to eye on his 2011 salary, catching can be DH too.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)