Sep 1, 2010, 1:32 PM EST
Now that everyone seems to be declaring the competitive portion of the Red Sox season dead, look for a lot more hot stoveish speculation in the Boston media going forward. The latest: Nick Cafardo reports that the Sox have talked to Victor Martinez about a two-year contract.
It would make sense for the Sox to get started on that now. For all of his struggles this season, my guess is that there would be a lot of interest in Martinez if he hits the market. Catching is catching, you know? And given the really good chance that the Sox and David Ortiz won’t be able to see eye to eye on his 2011 salary, catching can be DH too.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)