Sep 1, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT
On the same day Ryne Sandberg officially interviewed for the Cubs managerial job, word leaked out that the team may have someone else in mind:
Don’t be surprised if former Florida Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez
winds up a leading candidate to replace Lou Piniella within the next few
Sources say that Gonzalez is at the top of general manager Jim
Hendry’s wish list in the early stages of the process and that he
prefers a manager with major-league experience — with Class AAA manager
Ryne Sandberg considered the strongest, if not only, serious candidate
I don’t own any stock in Ryne Sandberg Enterprises or anything, but I’m curious to hear the argument against hiring him (“we want someone with MLB experience” seems rather weak to me). He’s almost certainly the fans’ choice, and he has paid his dues in the minors.
It strikes me that whoever is going to manage the Cubs next is going to have a tough time as the team tries to rebuild. If you put the unpopular choice in there and he loses, won’t that add an extra layer of angry to all of this in the eyes of the fans?
I admit that’s politics and that politics is not the best reason to hire a manager. But in this case I don’t think you can simply ignore the politics either — and it’s not like Sandberg is unqualified or anything — which makes going with someone who isn’t Sandberg a dangerous choice for Jim Hendry.
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 1
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 34
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)