Sep 1, 2010, 9:11 AM EST
On the same day Ryne Sandberg officially interviewed for the Cubs managerial job, word leaked out that the team may have someone else in mind:
Don’t be surprised if former Florida Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez
winds up a leading candidate to replace Lou Piniella within the next few
Sources say that Gonzalez is at the top of general manager Jim
Hendry’s wish list in the early stages of the process and that he
prefers a manager with major-league experience — with Class AAA manager
Ryne Sandberg considered the strongest, if not only, serious candidate
I don’t own any stock in Ryne Sandberg Enterprises or anything, but I’m curious to hear the argument against hiring him (“we want someone with MLB experience” seems rather weak to me). He’s almost certainly the fans’ choice, and he has paid his dues in the minors.
It strikes me that whoever is going to manage the Cubs next is going to have a tough time as the team tries to rebuild. If you put the unpopular choice in there and he loses, won’t that add an extra layer of angry to all of this in the eyes of the fans?
I admit that’s politics and that politics is not the best reason to hire a manager. But in this case I don’t think you can simply ignore the politics either — and it’s not like Sandberg is unqualified or anything — which makes going with someone who isn’t Sandberg a dangerous choice for Jim Hendry.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 27
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)