Sep 2, 2010, 9:34 PM EST
Here’s an odd one.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Diamondbacks are planning to call up veteran left-hander Mike Hampton from Triple-A Reno before Friday’s game.
Hampton signed a minor league contract with Arizona in late August and has made only four relief appearances at Triple-A Reno to some rather uninspiring results. Maybe the D’Backs are hoping that the spectacle of a washed-up, overpaid veteran will lead to a couple hundred bucks in extra ticket sales. Like a bull fight, or something.
Hampton, 37, hasn’t appeared in the majors since August of last season and posted a 5.30 ERA and a 1.55 WHIP in 21 total starts for the Astros over the course of 2009. The Diamondbacks’ bullpen has been bad, but has it really been let’s-promote-Mike Hampton bad?
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 32
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 129
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 22
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (132)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)