Sep 2, 2010, 9:34 PM EDT
Here’s an odd one.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Diamondbacks are planning to call up veteran left-hander Mike Hampton from Triple-A Reno before Friday’s game.
Hampton signed a minor league contract with Arizona in late August and has made only four relief appearances at Triple-A Reno to some rather uninspiring results. Maybe the D’Backs are hoping that the spectacle of a washed-up, overpaid veteran will lead to a couple hundred bucks in extra ticket sales. Like a bull fight, or something.
Hampton, 37, hasn’t appeared in the majors since August of last season and posted a 5.30 ERA and a 1.55 WHIP in 21 total starts for the Astros over the course of 2009. The Diamondbacks’ bullpen has been bad, but has it really been let’s-promote-Mike Hampton bad?
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)