Sep 2, 2010, 9:34 PM EDT
Here’s an odd one.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Diamondbacks are planning to call up veteran left-hander Mike Hampton from Triple-A Reno before Friday’s game.
Hampton signed a minor league contract with Arizona in late August and has made only four relief appearances at Triple-A Reno to some rather uninspiring results. Maybe the D’Backs are hoping that the spectacle of a washed-up, overpaid veteran will lead to a couple hundred bucks in extra ticket sales. Like a bull fight, or something.
Hampton, 37, hasn’t appeared in the majors since August of last season and posted a 5.30 ERA and a 1.55 WHIP in 21 total starts for the Astros over the course of 2009. The Diamondbacks’ bullpen has been bad, but has it really been let’s-promote-Mike Hampton bad?
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)