Sep 2, 2010, 2:49 PM EST
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com the Diamondbacks “will begin interviewing general manager candidates over the next couple weeks” and have at least six candidates on their list.
Current interim general manager Jerry Dipoto and assistant general manager Peter Woodfork will obviously get interviews, and Morosi also mentions former Padres GM Kevin Towers, Yankees vice president of amateur scouting Damon Oppenheimer, and a pair of Dodgers assistant GMs, Logan White and De Jon Watson.
Towers could be the favorite simply based on his GM experience, but White is an interesting candidate given the praise he typically receives in scouting quarters. The fact that Dipoto based his evaluation of trade acquisition Joe Saunders largely on his win total and winning percentage would give me some pause hiring him full time, although I’ve liked some of his moves so far.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)