Sep 2, 2010, 2:49 PM EST
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com the Diamondbacks “will begin interviewing general manager candidates over the next couple weeks” and have at least six candidates on their list.
Current interim general manager Jerry Dipoto and assistant general manager Peter Woodfork will obviously get interviews, and Morosi also mentions former Padres GM Kevin Towers, Yankees vice president of amateur scouting Damon Oppenheimer, and a pair of Dodgers assistant GMs, Logan White and De Jon Watson.
Towers could be the favorite simply based on his GM experience, but White is an interesting candidate given the praise he typically receives in scouting quarters. The fact that Dipoto based his evaluation of trade acquisition Joe Saunders largely on his win total and winning percentage would give me some pause hiring him full time, although I’ve liked some of his moves so far.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 62
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 25
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)