Sep 2, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com the Diamondbacks “will begin interviewing general manager candidates over the next couple weeks” and have at least six candidates on their list.
Current interim general manager Jerry Dipoto and assistant general manager Peter Woodfork will obviously get interviews, and Morosi also mentions former Padres GM Kevin Towers, Yankees vice president of amateur scouting Damon Oppenheimer, and a pair of Dodgers assistant GMs, Logan White and De Jon Watson.
Towers could be the favorite simply based on his GM experience, but White is an interesting candidate given the praise he typically receives in scouting quarters. The fact that Dipoto based his evaluation of trade acquisition Joe Saunders largely on his win total and winning percentage would give me some pause hiring him full time, although I’ve liked some of his moves so far.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)