Sep 2, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Mat Gamel was once considered Milwaukee’s third baseman of the future, but his shaky glove combined with Casey McGehee’s presence has the Brewers thinking instead that he could be the replacement at first base if Prince Fielder leaves as a free agent (or is traded before then).
However, based on what Gamel said to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about playing first base it sure doesn’t sound like he’s in love with that idea:
It was a lot easier for me [in right field] than first base. It’s a lot less stressful. It’s tougher than people think. First ain’t easy. I have a lot more respect for those guys knowing what they do. Whatever they want me to do, I’ll do. If [Triple-A] is where they send me, I don’t have any choice. I’ll deal with it like I do every year, be happy I’ve got a job. A lot of people don’t have jobs these days.
He’s right in the sense that while first base probably isn’t more difficult to play than left field or right field–after all, guys like Prince Fielder play it–it’s definitely more action-filled than an outfield spot. First basemen are involved in many more plays per game than corner outfielders or even third basemen.
With that said, I suspect Gamel would gladly take the first base gig if Fielder leaves.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)