Sep 2, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Mat Gamel was once considered Milwaukee’s third baseman of the future, but his shaky glove combined with Casey McGehee’s presence has the Brewers thinking instead that he could be the replacement at first base if Prince Fielder leaves as a free agent (or is traded before then).
However, based on what Gamel said to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about playing first base it sure doesn’t sound like he’s in love with that idea:
It was a lot easier for me [in right field] than first base. It’s a lot less stressful. It’s tougher than people think. First ain’t easy. I have a lot more respect for those guys knowing what they do. Whatever they want me to do, I’ll do. If [Triple-A] is where they send me, I don’t have any choice. I’ll deal with it like I do every year, be happy I’ve got a job. A lot of people don’t have jobs these days.
He’s right in the sense that while first base probably isn’t more difficult to play than left field or right field–after all, guys like Prince Fielder play it–it’s definitely more action-filled than an outfield spot. First basemen are involved in many more plays per game than corner outfielders or even third basemen.
With that said, I suspect Gamel would gladly take the first base gig if Fielder leaves.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)