Sep 2, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Mat Gamel was once considered Milwaukee’s third baseman of the future, but his shaky glove combined with Casey McGehee’s presence has the Brewers thinking instead that he could be the replacement at first base if Prince Fielder leaves as a free agent (or is traded before then).
However, based on what Gamel said to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about playing first base it sure doesn’t sound like he’s in love with that idea:
It was a lot easier for me [in right field] than first base. It’s a lot less stressful. It’s tougher than people think. First ain’t easy. I have a lot more respect for those guys knowing what they do. Whatever they want me to do, I’ll do. If [Triple-A] is where they send me, I don’t have any choice. I’ll deal with it like I do every year, be happy I’ve got a job. A lot of people don’t have jobs these days.
He’s right in the sense that while first base probably isn’t more difficult to play than left field or right field–after all, guys like Prince Fielder play it–it’s definitely more action-filled than an outfield spot. First basemen are involved in many more plays per game than corner outfielders or even third basemen.
With that said, I suspect Gamel would gladly take the first base gig if Fielder leaves.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 36
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 22
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)