Sep 2, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
Derrick Goold interviews Mark McGwire in the Post-Dispatch today. The key points: Mark McGwire loves being a hitting coach. Mark McGwire is on a one year contract that both sides called an “experiment” when the year began. The Cardinals are currently gagging their way the hell out of playoff contention, primarily because they’re not hitting the ball too well.
Wait, I was told there would be no math, but it’s so easy to do here.
Or is it? Seems to me that the key to all of this is La Russa. His contract is up too, and if he decides to come back I’m guessing that McGwire would too because he’s Tony’s boy and all of that. Plus I’d like to think that John Mozeliak is smart enough to realize that hitting coaches really don’t matter a hill of beans in this world and firing one over the offense tanking would be a pretty empty gesture. If the manager likes him and he’s not some problem, there’s no sense in not keeping him around. If the manager leaves, let the new manager bring in his own guy.
Oh, one extra key fact from the interview: In addition to his older son who followed him around back during the 1998 home run chase, McGwire’s wife had triplets recently and they have two younger sons who just started school. So take that PED haters.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)