Sep 2, 2010, 12:28 PM EST
Derrick Goold interviews Mark McGwire in the Post-Dispatch today. The key points: Mark McGwire loves being a hitting coach. Mark McGwire is on a one year contract that both sides called an “experiment” when the year began. The Cardinals are currently gagging their way the hell out of playoff contention, primarily because they’re not hitting the ball too well.
Wait, I was told there would be no math, but it’s so easy to do here.
Or is it? Seems to me that the key to all of this is La Russa. His contract is up too, and if he decides to come back I’m guessing that McGwire would too because he’s Tony’s boy and all of that. Plus I’d like to think that John Mozeliak is smart enough to realize that hitting coaches really don’t matter a hill of beans in this world and firing one over the offense tanking would be a pretty empty gesture. If the manager likes him and he’s not some problem, there’s no sense in not keeping him around. If the manager leaves, let the new manager bring in his own guy.
Oh, one extra key fact from the interview: In addition to his older son who followed him around back during the 1998 home run chase, McGwire’s wife had triplets recently and they have two younger sons who just started school. So take that PED haters.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 43
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 21
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)