Sep 2, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
Derrick Goold interviews Mark McGwire in the Post-Dispatch today. The key points: Mark McGwire loves being a hitting coach. Mark McGwire is on a one year contract that both sides called an “experiment” when the year began. The Cardinals are currently gagging their way the hell out of playoff contention, primarily because they’re not hitting the ball too well.
Wait, I was told there would be no math, but it’s so easy to do here.
Or is it? Seems to me that the key to all of this is La Russa. His contract is up too, and if he decides to come back I’m guessing that McGwire would too because he’s Tony’s boy and all of that. Plus I’d like to think that John Mozeliak is smart enough to realize that hitting coaches really don’t matter a hill of beans in this world and firing one over the offense tanking would be a pretty empty gesture. If the manager likes him and he’s not some problem, there’s no sense in not keeping him around. If the manager leaves, let the new manager bring in his own guy.
Oh, one extra key fact from the interview: In addition to his older son who followed him around back during the 1998 home run chase, McGwire’s wife had triplets recently and they have two younger sons who just started school. So take that PED haters.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)