Sep 2, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT
Derrick Goold interviews Mark McGwire in the Post-Dispatch today. The key points: Mark McGwire loves being a hitting coach. Mark McGwire is on a one year contract that both sides called an “experiment” when the year began. The Cardinals are currently gagging their way the hell out of playoff contention, primarily because they’re not hitting the ball too well.
Wait, I was told there would be no math, but it’s so easy to do here.
Or is it? Seems to me that the key to all of this is La Russa. His contract is up too, and if he decides to come back I’m guessing that McGwire would too because he’s Tony’s boy and all of that. Plus I’d like to think that John Mozeliak is smart enough to realize that hitting coaches really don’t matter a hill of beans in this world and firing one over the offense tanking would be a pretty empty gesture. If the manager likes him and he’s not some problem, there’s no sense in not keeping him around. If the manager leaves, let the new manager bring in his own guy.
Oh, one extra key fact from the interview: In addition to his older son who followed him around back during the 1998 home run chase, McGwire’s wife had triplets recently and they have two younger sons who just started school. So take that PED haters.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)