Sep 2, 2010, 5:05 PM EDT
Marlins starting catcher John Baker has been out since mid-May with an elbow injury and after suffering a setback while rehabbing in the minors last week Dr. James Andrews has determined that he needs Tommy John surgery.
The good news for Baker is that position players tend to come back from Tommy John surgery much sooner than pitchers. The bad news is that being a catcher who can’t afford to have problems throwing complicates that and either way he’s likely to miss a big chunk of next season.
“Super frustrating, but at least I can move forward,” Baker told Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald. “I’m really happy to put this behind me and move forward. It’s been a rough year for me.”
Baker has been sidelined for over three months already, backup Ronny Paulino was recently suspended 50 games for performance-enhancing drugs, and third-stringer Brett Hayes is out with a separated shoulder thanks to Nyjer Morgan, so the Marlins have signed 35-year-old Mike Rivera just to provide some catching depth for the final month.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)