Sep 2, 2010, 8:45 PM EDT
Major League Baseball is finally ready to levy a punishment on Nationals outfielder Nyjer Morgan for his various outbursts over the past few weeks.
Morgan threw a ball at a fan in Philadelphia in mid-August, intentionally plowed into an unsuspecting Cardinals catcher a week later, put the Marlins’ Brett Hayes out for three weeks with an upper-body check on Tuesday and incited a benches-clearing brawl on Wednesday night.
That’s quite a rap sheet, and ESPN.com’s Buster Olney suspects that Morgan might get a 5-10 game suspenion on top of the seven-game suspension that he is already attempting to appeal.
Essentially, the Nationals center fielder could be sidelined for half of September. And rightly so.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 18
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 93
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 36
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (115)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)