Source: Scott Boras is out as A-Rod's agent

Sep 2, 2010, 10:17 AM EDT

The most famous player in baseball has fired the most famous agent in baseball.

Alex Rodriguez has fired uber agent Scott Boras and is now being represented full time by Pittsburgh attorney Jay Reisinger.

Bob Nightengale of USA Today was the first one to run with this this morning, but for reasons that are unclear, the link disappeared as soon as it showed up (UPDATE: It’s back up now, though it has changed a bit).  Not sure why USA Today would pull his story, because it was essentially accurate. Nightengale’s report went that A-Rod is “using” Reisinger and has “abandoned” Boras, though Nightengale says that if he ever needed more contract work, “Boras is only a phone call a way.”

Nightengale’s report inspired me to make a couple of phone calls and I’ve learned that all of what he wrote is technically true, but it’s a bit more stark. I’m hearing from reliable sources that A-Rod has definitely fired Scott Boras. Did so about a month ago.  It wasn’t really ugly or anything, which is why we didn’t hear about it at the time, but it happened and the relationship is over. Enter Reisinger.

Those who follow the steroids beat know that Reisinger has been representing Rodriguez as his attorney for some time.  He counseled him last year when the PED revelations came out and has continued to counsel him to date as A-Rod has been dragged into the Anthony Galea blood spinning stuff. Reisinger also represents Andy Pettitte in connection with the Mitchell Report/Clemens stuff and counseled Sammy Sosa before his infamous congressional testimony (counseled him expertly, as I have written).

But as time has gone on, A-Rod’s trust in Reisinger has grown, and Reisinger has assumed greater responsibility. He is now — and has been for some time — the point of contact between A-Rod, the union, the league and the Yankees.  That has made him the defacto agent.  Given the sorts of challenges A-Rod faces these days — an investigation and other dealings that are less about negotiating the big contract than they are about various ancillary matters that require greater attention to detail and maybe some hard nosed litigation skills — he just makes more sense than Boras does.

So there we are. Boras isn’t lacking for clients, but he has lost his most famous one.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 2, 2010 at 10:45 AM

So does Bor-ass still get the commissions from the next 8 years of A-Rod’s contract, since he is the one who negotiated it? If so, how long is it before Reisinger is in his ear asking him to renegotiate so he can get the fees, same as Bor-ass did?

2. aleskel - Sep 2, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Since the commission is based on the full value of the contract, I would have to believe that Boras already got his payment when the deal was signed.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I don’t think this is true at all. I think he gets a % of A-Rod’s pay whenever he gets it. Otherwise, if he gets, say 5%, he would have gotten a check from A-Rod upfront for $15 million? I doubt that.

4. TheBuzzOnNY.com - Sep 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I thought A-Rod went above Boras and did the deal himself? Boras just looked over the final touches. Maybe Johnny Damon will drop him next, since he screwed up the talks with the Yankees.

5. Kevin S. - Sep 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Boras still gets the commission – remember, people think he pushed Manny into getting away from the Red Sox because he wouldn’t get a commission on those two option years signed by his previous agents. Unless there was something specific cutting Boras out of his usual commission on A-Rod’s contract (and hell yeah, we’d have heard about that), he’ll continue to get his 5% (or whatever) as A-Rod earns money over the next seven years.

6. Mrsteve - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM

AROD is back to his first 2 seasons power wise without steroids.
    He’s done.

7. Kevin S. - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:01 PM

So, what we’re no claiming is that Alex Rodriguez used steroids from 1996 through 2009, continuing for a full season after he was outed and confirmed his usage, and *then* stopped?
    Got it.

8. Mrsteve - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Shut up Kevin
    He sucked last yr compared to 3 seasons ago. He most likely stopped after his first yr with the Yankees & started in Texas dipshit.
    U sound like ARODS bitch. U r a bitch for sure.

9. Kevin S. - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I’m not sure what fails harder, your logic or your grammar. So let’s see, he started in Texas and finished after his first year in New York – meaning he juiced from 01-04 (not sure where you pulled that extra year from, but hey, whatever). His ISOs those years were .304, .324, .301 and .226. Of course, those first three all occurred when he was playing in that bandbox they call a stadium down in Arlington, and all happened during a player’s peak seasons. Since then, he’s ISO’d .289, .233, .334 (a career-high), .245 and .220. Obviously those are lower than Texas, but they A) came in a less homer-friendly park, B) came as he got older, and C) are still pretty freaking good. Since people that blither the pseudo-science about steroids seem to think it’s all about power, I’d argue that A-Rod’s hardly done in the department everybody seems to think he had all that help in. The man has a higher ISO than Evan Longoria. If you think he’s “done,” it has nothing to do with not being on the juice.
    But hey, I guess I’m a bitch because I like to use facts and logic.

10. Bull Durham - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Well done sir. Well done indeed.

11. ScubaGolfJim - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I think Bor-ass (excellent “typo” there Chris Fiorentino) should lose ALL of his clients. He’s one of the worst things to ever happen to baseball. I think of him like I do unions in general. Absolutely necessary when they first started, but some have gone power-mad in recent times. I’m not sure if Bor-ass is power-mad or just mad. When a new player signs with him, they go waaaaayyyy down my list of respectable players.

12. Kevin S. - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Yes, Boras is just such a terrible human being for, you know, doing his job. Because god forbid the billionaire owners don’t get to keep even more of the revenue the players generate.

13. Tony A - Sep 2, 2010 at 4:26 PM

You’re on a roll today, Kev, keep up the good work…

14. Mrsteve - Sep 2, 2010 at 7:26 PM

fact is Kevin you definately suck on cocks
    Aroid : your fag king:
    HR: Most he hit in Seattle 42
    Then he goes to TX & starts the juice 57
    He goes to NY & tops off at 54 & gets busted red handed by SI
    Goes off the juice & the last 3 yrs HR totals 35, 30 & so far this yr 21
    He is declining
    So there are your facts cock breath
    Yep you are a bitch
    and so is Bull Durham which is a chick flick
    does kevin costner make you hard like it does kevin
    Mayo eaters
    BITCH!

15. Kevin S. - Sep 2, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Clearly, my differing opinion makes me a subservient homosexual. I am confused, however – if SI busted A-Rod for his 2003 positive, and by your own very-scientific hypothesis that he stopped using after his first year in New York, how does that explain 2007? If he was off the juice then, how is his decline since then explained by steroids, as opposed to some combination of coming down off of a career year, natural aging and his hip injury? I also find it interesting that you would spout off about A-Rod’s usage of PEDs and his subsequent performance in an article related entirely to his business representation. But hey, what do I know? I just like sucking dick.

16. Mrsteve - Sep 2, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I am an ass but I do think you are AROD’s bitch boy since you are defending him so much even though his #’s have dropped in half

17. Kevin S. - Sep 2, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Actually, all I was doing was calling your assertion that him decline was PED-withdrawal related ridiculous. I wasn’t denying that he’s declined off his peak.

18. Mrsteve - Sep 2, 2010 at 10:16 PM

He had switched to HGH which is still a PED
    now he is clean of that & roids & he is back to the way he was in Seattle
    his head is still 4 sizes too big

19. Kevin S. - Sep 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM

And you have evidence that A) he actually did this, and B) HGH improves athletic performance for men in their mid-30s who are in peak physical condition? Because that would be the first I’d heard of either of these things. You could be a journalistic sensation! I’m positive that this is the case, and that you’re not just a homophobic dumbfuck speaking out of his ass.

20. Mrsteve - Sep 2, 2010 at 11:10 PM

you are the dumbfuck
    dickbreath
    AROD is falling apart not doping anymore
    Go back to the street corner in the village

21. Mrsteve - Sep 2, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Petite & Bonds were on HGH
    You are not a man though tranny so you wouldn’t know
    go play with some balls

22. Kevin S. - Sep 2, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Bonds is accused of using two designer steroids, neither of which is HGH, and Pettitte showed no appreciable spike in performance around the times McNamee alleges he used.
    I know, logic and facts thwarting you again! It must be incredibly frustrating to live in a fantasy world that keeps getting torn down around you.

23. Kevin S. - Sep 2, 2010 at 11:57 PM

And yet you’ve still failed to demonstrate the link between his decline and when he got off the juice. Because, you know, they didn’t happen anywhere near each other.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey