Sep 2, 2010, 10:17 AM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has fired uber agent Scott Boras and is now being represented full time by Pittsburgh attorney Jay Reisinger.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today was the first one to run with this this morning, but for reasons that are unclear, the link disappeared as soon as it showed up (UPDATE: It’s back up now, though it has changed a bit). Not sure why USA Today would pull his story, because it was essentially accurate. Nightengale’s report went that A-Rod is “using” Reisinger and has “abandoned” Boras, though Nightengale says that if he ever needed more contract work, “Boras is only a phone call a way.”
Nightengale’s report inspired me to make a couple of phone calls and I’ve learned that all of what he wrote is technically true, but it’s a bit more stark. I’m hearing from reliable sources that A-Rod has definitely fired Scott Boras. Did so about a month ago. It wasn’t really ugly or anything, which is why we didn’t hear about it at the time, but it happened and the relationship is over. Enter Reisinger.
Those who follow the steroids beat know that Reisinger has been representing Rodriguez as his attorney for some time. He counseled him last year when the PED revelations came out and has continued to counsel him to date as A-Rod has been dragged into the Anthony Galea blood spinning stuff. Reisinger also represents Andy Pettitte in connection with the Mitchell Report/Clemens stuff and counseled Sammy Sosa before his infamous congressional testimony (counseled him expertly, as I have written).
But as time has gone on, A-Rod’s trust in Reisinger has grown, and Reisinger has assumed greater responsibility. He is now — and has been for some time — the point of contact between A-Rod, the union, the league and the Yankees. That has made him the defacto agent. Given the sorts of challenges A-Rod faces these days — an investigation and other dealings that are less about negotiating the big contract than they are about various ancillary matters that require greater attention to detail and maybe some hard nosed litigation skills — he just makes more sense than Boras does.
So there we are. Boras isn’t lacking for clients, but he has lost his most famous one.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)