Sep 2, 2010, 11:28 AM EST
Josh Lueke was one of the players sent from Texas to Seattle in the Cliff Lee deal. You may recall that, at the time, there was some controversy about the Mariners’ due dilligence on Lueke, because it seems that he faced rape and sodomy charges in California last summer, pleaded no contest after the cops figured out he was lying his butt off to them about the incident and was sentenced to 40 days in the pokey.
At the time, Mariners president Chuck Armstrong said he was “not aware”of Leuke’s problems. Seems that’s not true, because Geoff Baker is reporting today that former Mariners pitching coach Rick Adair told Jack Zduriencik about Lueke’s troubles “well before the deal.” Check out Baker’s story for Adair’s comments on it. He’s unequivocal in saying he told them all about the guy and his legal problems.
Moreover, Zduriencik said at the time that the Rangers wouldn’t agree to take Leuke back as a result of the hubub, but Rangers’ GM Jon Daniels contradicts that, saying that Texas made a standing offer to do so and Seattle never availed themselves of it.
To sum up: either the Mariners’ President lied about not knowing of Leuke’s past, or else no one thought it was a good idea to tell the Mariners’ President information that he really should have known. And then Zduriencik lied about trying to send Leuke back. And then Zduriencik fired a guy who has now dropped the dime about all of this to Geoff Baker.
Doin’ a heckuva a job, there, Jack Z.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)