Sep 2, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
Cubs left-hander Tom Gorzelanny was lifted from his Wednesday start against the Pirates after just 2 2/3 innings when he was nailed in the pitching hand by a comebacker. An MRI was taken almost immediately but it showed nothing in the way of a fracture.
Well, the news got worse Thursday. According to Dave van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune, a CT scan has revealed an incomplete hairline fracture underneath the fingernail of his left pinkie finger.
The Cubs have scratched Gorzelanny from his next scheduled start and may end up shutting him down for the year if a week of rest doesn’t do any good. A replacement has not been named and Carlos Silva hasn’t been very effective down in the minors, but he is probably still an option.
Gorzelanny has posted a decent enough 7-8 record, 3.90 ERA and 1.46 WHIP in 27 appearances (21 starts) for the Cubs this season. He’s fanned 112 batters in 127 total innings.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights