Sep 2, 2010, 1:01 PM EDT
”The fact is, it’s Jim’s job to decide which manager to bring in. But it’s about
winning, not about marketing.”
— Cubs owner Tom Ricketts, signaling to everyone that it is by no means a foregone conclusion that Ryne Sandberg will be the next Cubs manager.
Which is the right thing to say. The mistake, I think, would be to assume that hiring Ryne Sandberg is about marketing. There’s some of that there, obviously, but it’s also true that while I don’t think they’ll go all Florida Marlins on us and slash to the bone, the Cubs have tried to get younger this year. They’ve traded away Derrek Lee and others, they’ve called up Starling Castro and they will likely continue to tack in a rebuilding direction.
Sandberg has managed many of the players who will be a part of the team going forward and has experience with younger players overall. So while I agree with Ricketts that you can’t hire the big name just because he’s the big name, I really would be curious to hear the case against Sandberg on a purely merit basis.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)