Sep 2, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Despite shutting out the Tigers for seven innings last night Francisco Liriano was denied his 13th win when the Twins’ bullpen couldn’t hold a 1-0 lead, but rookie third baseman Danny Valencia delivered a walk-off single in the 10th inning to give Minnesota the victory anyway.
Valencia began the season at Triple-A and was hitting just .292/.347/.373 with zero homers in 49 games when the Twins called him up in early June. At the time he was expected to simply provide an extra body for a few days while Michael Cuddyer was on bereavement leave, but three months later Valencia is still in the majors. And he’s hitting .332.
He’s continued to show little power after the homerless stretch at Triple-A, managing just two long balls in 208 at-bats with the Twins, but Valencia does have 16 doubles and a .332 batting average tends to make up for a lack of other things. Plus, he’s been significantly better than expected defensively, showing good range and an excellent arm at third base despite the Twins publicly questioning his glove this spring.
Valencia obviously won’t keep hitting .330, but as the batting average comes back down to earth his power should rise–prior to this season he smacked 19 homers per 150 games in the minors–and his unexpected contributions have been a big part of the Twins ability to thrive without Justin Morneau for the past two months.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 1
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 67
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)