Sep 2, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Despite shutting out the Tigers for seven innings last night Francisco Liriano was denied his 13th win when the Twins’ bullpen couldn’t hold a 1-0 lead, but rookie third baseman Danny Valencia delivered a walk-off single in the 10th inning to give Minnesota the victory anyway.
Valencia began the season at Triple-A and was hitting just .292/.347/.373 with zero homers in 49 games when the Twins called him up in early June. At the time he was expected to simply provide an extra body for a few days while Michael Cuddyer was on bereavement leave, but three months later Valencia is still in the majors. And he’s hitting .332.
He’s continued to show little power after the homerless stretch at Triple-A, managing just two long balls in 208 at-bats with the Twins, but Valencia does have 16 doubles and a .332 batting average tends to make up for a lack of other things. Plus, he’s been significantly better than expected defensively, showing good range and an excellent arm at third base despite the Twins publicly questioning his glove this spring.
Valencia obviously won’t keep hitting .330, but as the batting average comes back down to earth his power should rise–prior to this season he smacked 19 homers per 150 games in the minors–and his unexpected contributions have been a big part of the Twins ability to thrive without Justin Morneau for the past two months.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)