Sep 3, 2010, 5:57 AM EDT
Phillies 12, Rockies 11: I went to the Ohio State-Marshall game last night and for what it’s worth, each of these teams had more offense than the Thundering Herd. Heck, Chase Utley himself almost drove in as many, um, points as the Herd did. Six RBI including a grand slam in a nine-run seventh inning. Colorado and Philly used 14 pitchers between them. The Rockies had 20 hits and still lost. Just ugly.
Tigers 10, Twins 9: Another ugly one, but a wild ugly one. Quoting the AP is probably the most expedient thing here: “six lead changes, five ties, four errors, two blown saves, 25 runners left on base and at least four botched double plays.” And it lasted close to five hour too.
Indians 6, Mariners 3: It was the Shin-Soo Choo Show: five RBI, courtesy of a bases-clearing double and a two-run homer. The Mariners’ bats went to sleep late, with 18 of the final 19 going quietly. That takes some real doin’ against Cleveland’s staff.
Yankees 5, Athletics 0: Hit this one up yesterday. As I said then, Dallas Braden left early with cramps on a hot and steamy day. CC Sabathia doesn’t know what the fuss was all about: “I’ve always enjoyed pitching in hot weather. Keep the sweat going, keep my arm loose.” I still wonder if guys who play their home games in 68 degree weather have a harder time adjusting to heat wave conditions than others. They’d have to, right?
Mets 4, Braves 2: It’s been so long since Tim Hudson lost a game that I think both he and I still had hair when it happened. The Mets figured him out, though, at least to the tune of four runs in eight innings, which was enough given the Braves’ quiet bats.
Red Sox 6, Orioles 4: A big second inning — five runs, led by Adrian Beltre’s homer — put the Sox up early. Dice-K gave four of them back in the sixth, but the pen bailed him out. Back home for Boston tonight to face Manny and the White Sox. I’m sure this will not be noted by the Boston media at all these next few days.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)