And That Happened: Thursday's Scores and Highlights

Sep 3, 2010, 5:57 AM EDT

The Phillies pick up a game on Atlanta and the Twins and Tigers play a wild one. Sadly, I missed all of it because I was watching football. Not that I'm proud of myself or anything.

Phillies 12, Rockies 11:  I went to the Ohio State-Marshall game last night and for what it’s worth, each of these teams had more offense than the Thundering Herd. Heck, Chase Utley himself almost drove in as many, um, points as the Herd did. Six RBI including a grand slam in a nine-run seventh inning. Colorado and Philly used 14 pitchers between them. The Rockies had 20 hits and still lost. Just ugly.

Tigers 10, Twins 9: Another ugly one, but a wild ugly one. Quoting the AP is probably the most expedient thing here: “six lead changes, five ties, four errors, two blown saves, 25 runners left on base and at least four botched double plays.” And it lasted close to five hour too.

Indians 6, Mariners 3: It was the Shin-Soo Choo Show: five RBI, courtesy of a bases-clearing double and a two-run homer. The Mariners’ bats went to sleep late, with 18 of the final 19 going quietly. That takes some real doin’ against Cleveland’s staff.

Yankees 5, Athletics 0: Hit this one up yesterday. As I said then, Dallas Braden left early with cramps on a hot and steamy day. CC Sabathia doesn’t know what the fuss was all about: “I’ve always enjoyed pitching in hot weather. Keep the sweat going, keep my arm loose.” I still wonder if guys who play their home games in 68 degree weather have a harder time adjusting to heat wave conditions than others. They’d have to, right?

Mets 4, Braves 2: It’s been so long since Tim Hudson lost a game that I think both he and I still had hair when it happened. The Mets figured him out, though, at least to the tune of four runs in eight innings, which was enough given the Braves’ quiet bats.

Red Sox 6, Orioles 4: A big second inning — five runs, led by Adrian Beltre’s homer — put the Sox up early. Dice-K gave four of them back in the sixth, but the pen bailed him out. Back home for Boston tonight to face Manny and the White Sox. I’m sure this will not be noted by the Boston media at all these next few days.

1. Old Gator - Sep 3, 2010 at 6:34 AM

What’s…football?

2. Ditto65 - Sep 3, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Who is Manny?

3. Kevin S. - Sep 3, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Watched the Bravos last night, and I’m not sure the Mutts figured Hudson out so much as the defense licked balls. Melky’s fat ass turning Beltran’s first-inning single into a triple, then Infante botching the throw. Infante booting the double-play ball. Lee being unable to to handle the Ike Davis ball. Yes, David Wright crushed one off of him, but other than that Hudson’s defense let him down.

4. Jonny5 - Sep 3, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Well the pitching gods were out of town in Denver last night, giving the hitting gods free reign. Utley’s baa-aaack….. Almost hit for the home run cycle in one inning. 1 run homer Werth, Two run Homer Howard, Grand Slam Utley. Lot’s of Bombs last night with 35 hits between the two teams. And what I take as a great sign as well, Lidge has been stellar lately. He wasn’t last night, no one was, he got the save, but his era has been around 1 or under for a month or two now. Another note, I think Huston Street and Contreras were the only pitchers to take the mound and not give up a run last night between the two teams.

5. easports82 - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:24 AM

This is a Mariner lineup that could probably get no-hit by that girl in little league that throws a knuckleball. Surprised they went silent? How about surprised they put up 7 hits in the first place.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Lidge wasn’t that bad last night…Ryan Howard was checking out some hot chick in the front row with big boobs and an “I only kiss Phillies fans” t-shirt and he boots an easy ground ball. Otherwise, it would have been a scoreless inning. His slider has been off the charts. Let’s just hope he keep it going when the playoffs begin.

7. Jonny5 - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:51 AM

No he wasn’t that bad at all Chris, He wasn’t Lights out like you want from a closer, but he was effective enough to maintain the lead. His slider has been nasty, I think it took him time to get his slider up in the zone, he had to. People wouldn’t swing on his sliders in the dirt anymore. When it’s going to be a fastball or a worm killing slider, you lay off the slider and wait. His game had to change,the two trick pony had to adjust or get a new pitch, adjusting will do for now it seems. This game in Colorado might be just what this team needed though. Yeah guys, you still can hit, just keep doing it.

8. Utley's hair - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Nyjer Morgan could tell you.

9. Utley's hair - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Lidge wasn’t too bad, but there really should have been two errors on that play with Howard. Ryan butchered it, and then Lidge missed it when he tried to pick it up. That 7th inning was definitely a treat. And how about Polly on the final out? I thought it got past him.

10. basiltherat - Sep 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM

We call it “soccer” here.

11. John_Michael - Sep 3, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Hey Craig, didja hear about the end of the Baltimore game last night? O’s down by 2, first and second, none out, Buck pinch hits with Corey Patterson, who lays down a sac bunt moving Pie and (pinch runner) Lugo to 3rd and 2nd respectively…to bring up IZTURIS and BELL!?!?! The worst two hitters on the team!
    Surprise to no one, Papelbon gets out of it. Showalter says that he left Izturis hit because he’s had some clutch hits in the past and that it was a learning experience for Josh Bell. Have you heard any follow up on this? Like maybe Showalter received an out patient surgery for a exceptionally nasty brain fart?

12. doctorfunke - Sep 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM

The AP left out one stat in their Tigers-Twins writeup; four blown calls by the umps, three by Joe West. Just sayin’.

13. APBA Guy - Sep 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM

The A’s just came off a series in Texas with weather conditions similar to NYC (temp and humidity) and did well there, winning 2 of 3. I think, based on what I saw, that the reason Braden came out was that the cramp was in his leg and affected his problematic left foot, the one that put him on the DL last year at the end of the season. It’s still giving him some problems this year. From what I’ve seen over the years the A’s have a 1 game adjustment to the heat, but they’re mainly young enough that it doesn’t bother them too much. The guy I’ve seen who gets most bothered by heat is Jon Lester. He just wilts in it. Catch him in an August day game in a hot climate sometime: face red, sweating too much, after the 4th the fastball elevates. Not pretty.
    Anyway, as I said in the post about Moneyball, the Yankees played great this series. I think only the Rays and the Phightin’s would have been able to test them this week. The A’s young pitchers were absolutely overawed by the Yankee Stadium experience.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (3646)