Sep 3, 2010, 1:58 PM EDT
We’ve all been impressed with the Aroldis Chapman show recently. That 103.9 reading the other night was boffo, and it actually made that 105 reading from Louisville — which I had doubted but am maybe coming around to believe — seem more plausible. Baseball Prospectus’ Kevin Goldstein has a great point, though: we should be skeptical of the guns:
Radar guns are sensitive
pieces of equipment that need to be consistently calibrated, and that could be
the extent of the issue, but at the same time, there’s been so much good press
generated by Chapman’s velocity since the 105-mph reading, that conspiracy
theorists are starting to ask questions. Now that MLB doesn’t have juiced balls
or players anymore, are the radar guns juiced?
Goldstein’s comments aren’t mere contrarianism, mind you. His skepticism comes from the fact that a handful of other fireballers — including Neftali Feliz and Chris Sale — have recently had unprecedentedly hot readings as well and maybe — just maybe — some funny business is afoot.
Good catch by Kevin. For what it’s worth, I would have no trouble whatsoever featuring the people behind the ballpark radar guns putting their thumb on the scale, so to speak, in order to spark a few more oohs and ahhs from the crowd. And maybe — just maybe — a few extra ticket sales.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)