Sep 3, 2010, 1:58 PM EDT
We’ve all been impressed with the Aroldis Chapman show recently. That 103.9 reading the other night was boffo, and it actually made that 105 reading from Louisville — which I had doubted but am maybe coming around to believe — seem more plausible. Baseball Prospectus’ Kevin Goldstein has a great point, though: we should be skeptical of the guns:
Radar guns are sensitive
pieces of equipment that need to be consistently calibrated, and that could be
the extent of the issue, but at the same time, there’s been so much good press
generated by Chapman’s velocity since the 105-mph reading, that conspiracy
theorists are starting to ask questions. Now that MLB doesn’t have juiced balls
or players anymore, are the radar guns juiced?
Goldstein’s comments aren’t mere contrarianism, mind you. His skepticism comes from the fact that a handful of other fireballers — including Neftali Feliz and Chris Sale — have recently had unprecedentedly hot readings as well and maybe — just maybe — some funny business is afoot.
Good catch by Kevin. For what it’s worth, I would have no trouble whatsoever featuring the people behind the ballpark radar guns putting their thumb on the scale, so to speak, in order to spark a few more oohs and ahhs from the crowd. And maybe — just maybe — a few extra ticket sales.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 1
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 74
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)